Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Korba View Post
    I have a had a little bit of time to start on one of the maps in more detail. I'm choosing the centre southern continent. It is about 550 miles East to West and 400 miles North to South making it similar in size to France.
    So, based on this, does this mean your planet is considerably smaller than Earth?

I ask because, given the size of your continent (which appears to stretch from the 30th to 60th parallels), if this planet were the same size as Earth, then this continent would appear to be much larger than France (which is about 211 sq. miles vs. 220 sq. miles roughly for this continent by your figures).

By my admittedly rough calculation, if your continent is about 550 miles across, then the circumference of your planet at the 60th parallel is somewhere between 3,000 and 4,000 miles (based on my very rough finger-ruler measure of the number of times you can count the width of this continent across the 60th parallel). Mathematically, the circumference at the 60th parallel is 1/2 of the circumference of the planet at the equator, which gives you a planetary circumference of between 6,000 and 8,000 miles. The Earth, on the other hand, has a circumference of almost 25,000 miles.
    Last edited by Karro; 03-31-2009 at 02:49 PM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...