Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Google Maps API to display your maps?

I created the files (now up to 30000x23514) in Photoshop. This is the largest size it can save as a jpg/png/bmp. I'm saving as a bmp so that there's no computational overhead to compress/decompress the 1.3GB file.

Here is the content of the .bat file. I modified the amount of memory until it would work for me. I had it at 8192/16384 but found it paged EVERYTHING to my drive and went from taking about 12 minutes to process to taking hours (before I quit). The values now (8192/8192) seem to work and processing is fairly quick (IMHO).

start javaw -Xms8192M -Xmx8192M -jar gmapimagecutter.jar
    exit
    Beyond that, I run the batch file which loads the program (gmapimagecutter.jar) with the memory options set.

That lets me then load the big image file. I think that .bmp files also have a 2GB limit in size, which means I couldn't have a 30000x30000 file which I did try. I think that comes in around 2.7 GB.

I have it set at Max Zoom Level 8 in the image cutter program. This produces close to 1:1 representation. It actually zooms in a bit farther, but I can live with that.

I hope that works for you.

Oh - for the record, I use Vista 64 with 6GB of ram. I don't know if this program uses more than 4GB itself or not.

http://www.zoomify.com/ - basic is free

As long as you have a webserver this seems to be a great alternitive to Google Maps API. I've tested 12000 x 8000 jpgs and they work flawlessly. I'm assumming much larger files will work as well as the image on thier home page is much larger than the ones I tested.
    The road to success is always under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    I created the files (now up to 30000x23514) in Photoshop. This is the largest size it can save as a jpg/png/bmp. I'm saving as a bmp so that there's no computational overhead to compress/decompress the 1.3GB file.

Here is the content of the .bat file. I modified the amount of memory until it would work for me. I had it at 8192/16384 but found it paged EVERYTHING to my drive and went from taking about 12 minutes to process to taking hours (before I quit). The values now (8192/8192) seem to work and processing is fairly quick (IMHO).

Beyond that, I run the batch file which loads the program (gmapimagecutter.jar) with the memory options set.

That lets me then load the big image file. I think that .bmp files also have a 2GB limit in size, which means I couldn't have a 30000x30000 file which I did try. I think that comes in around 2.7 GB.

I have it set at Max Zoom Level 8 in the image cutter program. This produces close to 1:1 representation. It actually zooms in a bit farther, but I can live with that.

I hope that works for you.

Oh - for the record, I use Vista 64 with 6GB of ram. I don't know if this program uses more than 4GB itself or not.

Thanks guy. I'll try those settings.

I thought Zoomify had a resolution limit, especially in the free version? 3000x3000 or 6000x6000? Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    I thought Zoomify had a resolution limit, especially in the free version? 3000x3000 or 6000x6000? Something like that.
    I only tested the 12000 x 8000 but I haven't seen any limitations.

hmmm...all morning these maps have been working only on and off. I don't know if it's a google side thing, or a "Blue Host can't handle anything other than a straight html page." sorta thing.

ok, it seems, with testing, that I have no idea. Hitting F5 (the refresh key) until it works works.

An update: I've found that if I "create" a new key for each map I post, they work for me right away. Since that first day, I've not experienced any failure in loading the pages...knock on wood.

I also returned to my original experiment of using this as a means to share photos in a higher resolution. Here's my experiment with Family Photos quickly (ha) positioned on a white background. http://www.davidpiercey.com/family/1/Family01.html

I can envision using this to share photos with massive, fancy scrapbook-style layouts.

People can view, but not conveniently/easily save the images themselves. Their views can be in hi-res, if they want, but it's faster than sending them the pics themselves. And I can control the layout/viewing relationship to an extent.

Yep - just random placement as I went through the family pics I had on my computer. If I was doing a real project, I'd attempt something a bit more artful

Almost all the shots were placed at 100% size/resolution as well, hence the range of sizes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast