Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Abebe

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Thanks for posting that link to the GMapsCreator. I've been looking for something like that! I'll have to play with it and see if I can get it to switch pictures on zoom like Google Earth does with different zoom-level satellite pics. This should let me do it without learning the whole API. Yay!
    Try a render at zoom 3, zoom 2, and zoom 1...

I think you might be able to...

a. merge the tiles from 2 into 3
    b. merge the tiles from 1 into 3 (the one you just merged 2 into),
    c. use the html for 3

And end up with a map based on three different (but same res) starting images...with each optimized for different levels of zoom.
    Last edited by guyanonymous; 01-23-2011 at 08:44 PM.

I've been experimenting with overlays in google earth. This will likely be what I use to create my long/lat locations for cities etc....as long as I can export them to a csv/xml file to convert for the html. Don't suppose any of you know how to apply a separate height map in Google Earth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	33032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	837.6 KB 
ID:	33033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	33034

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Not I, but I don't see why you'd need to, honestly. That looks bleeping awesome as it is. Rep coming your way, this is turning out to be an awesome project.

Thanks muchly! I appreciate the positive (and negative) feedback.

This is looking really, really, really good.

I'm wondering about the hexes though. But then again, there's no way to perfectly tesselate hexes on a sphere.

No - the hexes aren't great on the sphere, and if I opt to have that as the primary display I might ditch them... and they are on layers so I can always hide them for output to the sphere..... I really notice the distortion of the compass itself. Decisions...hmm.

The biggest problem is projection distortion. Your map is equirectangular, right? Well, regardless of size, none of those hexes are uniform in shape or size, they're all a bit a skewed, and the polar hexes are bigger than equatorial ones.

I don't know that hexes will really translate well for a spherical coordinate system even when properly scaled/projected/created on a sphere directly. I'll likely revert to a base 12 long/lat system

Quote Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
    Don't suppose any of you know how to apply a separate height map in Google Earth?
    Last time I checked, I found it is not possible.
    The terrain in Google Earth is a server-provided data set, you cannot put custom terrain data into Google Earth with a KML file. So until Google provides terrain data for other planets or allows user-custom terrain data, I think you're out of luck.
    -Rob A>

Wow. This project is truely awesome.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast