Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
Thanks Joe, I wanted to create a tutorial that shows both a hand drawn approach (I include smudging in this category) and an automated approach.

I like those mountains a lot. I'd perhaps say that the shadows near the ridgelines are a little extreme compared to the rest of the mountain - the shadows should stay dark for most of the width of the mountain before tailing off around the base. Also, the river bump mapping is really extreme - the banks of the rivers have a stronger shadow than the mountains! Great map though - and a lovely example of what can be done with texture and colour and then enhanced with a bit of light and shade.
Thanks. The one I like THE BEST,was here(but I did not "do up" the entire mountain chain): http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...1&postcount=22

As for the rivers, if you notice, there is only a bit of bump mapping in certain places. I was trying to signify some fairly steep cliffs in those few locations. OF course, they were the result of a bit more automation than the mountains also, so I can see your point but at the time, I really did not know how to do it the right way...