Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Create a non-destructive editable map in Photoshop

Those look a lot better than anything I could have done. They are amazing. You should append your method to the tutorial so others can follow. Lovely work manikin!

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Are you using the download from here: http://www.geocities.com/why2kspace/

That one has the jiggle filter enabled.
    Geocities apparently shut down so the link no longer works :/

Anyways, here's what I got from following your tutorial and applying a few techniques from a previous one as well as my own. This site is truly awesome... I can't wait to surprise my RP groups with the maps I'll be doing up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	testMap2.png 
Views:	241 
Size:	564.4 KB 
ID:	18483  

Quote Originally Posted by xvcrimsajadevx View Post
    Geocities apparently shut down so the link no longer works :/

Anyways, here's what I got from following your tutorial and applying a few techniques from a previous one as well as my own. This site is truly awesome... I can't wait to surprise my RP groups with the maps I'll be doing up
    That is an excellent start. You should start a WIP thread and show us your progress as you bring it to completion.

-IG

Rats, I had a look around to see whether the free download of the eyecandy filters was hosted somewhere else, but drew a blank. You can still use the ocean ripple method though as a work around. I love the map - but the coastline looks a little 'soft' to me - although that may be intentional. Have a look at craggle's tutorial on using smart objects in photoshop - it works really well with this tutorial.

As IG said, you should start a separate WIP thread for your map where it will get more exposure and comments.

Great work and keep going!

Rats, I had a look around to see whether the free download of the eyecandy filters was hosted somewhere else
    First link here. Haven't tested it to make sure it isn't a nasty virus packed trojan, however, so practice safe downloading.

-Rob A>

I have downloaded the tutorial and am trying to work my way through it, but here are some of the issues that I am running into:

1) The screenshots of the dialog boxes are blurry, so it is hard to tell what settings are used to create the desired effect.
    2) There is no example of the completed sea layer, so I have no idea what I am supposed to be seeing. I don't feel like I can progress farther in the tutorial until I know if I'm doing it properly.
    3) In my particular case, I cannot find an older copy of EyeCandy for Mac OS X, and the current version does not appear to have the jiggle filter anymore (unless it's disabled in the trial version). Maybe an alternate set of instructions using the ripple filters that were suggested would be a good idea?

If the same technique is used at each step of the process (which I assume is something like "use the bottom layer of your group to specify the color, use the middle layer to mask the shape to be used, and use the top layer to set the texture or apply a filter to the edge of the shape") then maybe having one clear, step-by-step example at the beginning of the tutorial would be a good idea; later sections can embellish on the technique (like using the contour filter to create an edge around the continent, etc.)

I would be happy to help write out such a step-by-step tutorial if I can get more detailed instructions.
    Last edited by jelmore; 03-01-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Making the tone of some of my comments a little nicer. :)

LOL, glad you decided to edit to make the tone a little nicer . Frankly I've never been able to be nasty about people who educate / give away stuff for free, but that's just me

Let me take a look again at the tut (it's a while since I wrote it) and I'll come back to you.

If you get the detailed instructions, then you wouldn't have to write out the tutorial since it would have been done for you, but thanks for the offer!

Well, I wasn't being intentionally rude, but a couple of the comments I made could have been construed as such.

I guess what I meant by writing up the instructions was, I would be willing to do the appropriate screenshotting for an updated version, to make it clearer.

I would appreciate any suggestions or corrections you can offer; I tried to plow on through as best I could, but I don't know if my difficulties are because of the instructions, or because of my meager Photoshop skills...

EDIT: I started a WIP thread to detail what it is I'm trying to do.
    Last edited by jelmore; 03-01-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added link to WIP thread

Hmm you could try using the 'ripple' filter followed by an 'ocean ripple' filter...that gets break up too.
    I couldn't get the Ocean Ripple filter to work on the white shape that I had created for my land mass; apparently, it ignores areas with no pixels in it.

What I worked for me was to create the layer, switch to the layer mask, draw my shape, then use the Ripple and Ocean Ripple filters; once that was done, I switched back to the layer and filled it with white.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast