Thread: Inkscape Tweak Shrink/Grow not working?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

(Thinks some more, and tried for another interpretation...)

... now, if you are trying to vary the width of the stroke, you CAN use the shrink grow tweek tool IF you convert the stroke to a path first:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stp_cr.png 
Views:	361 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	12649

EDIT: But this is REAL SLOW.

If you are using a recent build, try the "sketch" path effect (bottom entry in the paths menu).

Here is a sample, with my settings (you can get many things, from real rough to very smooth. Careful with the tremble frequency parameter, it seems to slow down a lot when set higher...):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2009-04-21_091940.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	12650

The beauty of path effects is they do not change the actual path, only the way it looks, so you can go back and edit the path (add, delete, move nodes, etc) to your heart's content.

-Rob A>

I'm trying to vary the width of the path I'm working on. Help files indicate this is what the tool is for. The other functions within the tool work fine (jitter, etc) but ONLY the shrink-grow functions aren't working. Your first red example is exactly what I'm trying to do.

All that happens is the path bends out of the way of the tool, similar to how the other distort options work.

Maybe I need clarification. I want my path to become narrower in places as I paint. I know the tool currently only works on closed paths; does this mean it sort of shrinks the whole shape in on itself? Or does it thin out the width of the path without distorting its shape?