Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
I would be very interested in seeing your GIMP notes--perhaps to add to the original tutorial or perhaps to post as a second, separate tutorial for GIMP users. I also have a couple questions about your end results in comparison to mine (ex: does GIMP not have the same filter(s) as Photoshop?) Would you be willing to email your notes & ideas to me?
No problem, just need to make them a bit cleaner. The big difference is that Gimp doesn't have layer effects. You need to apply effects as separate layers. That means that if you change the original layer, you have to redo the effect layer. Take drop shadow as an example. I f you erase a part of the main layer, you would have to regenerate the drop shadow or there will be an anomalous bit of one left.

Yes, tell me about it, my friend! I tried many, many different filters, fills, processes, & combos of all the above to create the effect without the need to draw in all those streets by hand, but none of them turned out worth a darn. All fell at either end of the spectrum: either too mechanical or too random.
I did a bit of experimentation, and there is one filter in GIMP that gives interesting results...mosaic. I make the "grout" the same green as the fields to make it appear as grass in peoples yards. I have attached a sample

I don't think yours looks at all bad, Rob, but I'd put in about another 50% worth of side streets, alleys, courtyards & such.
I agree, the look like big lumps. I was just getting fatigued. I think the mosaic might be a good solution. Just need to play with the settings more.

-Rob A>