View Poll Results: Was this tutorial useful for you?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

6 75.00%
  • No.

0 0%
  • No, because I don't use the application used.

2 25.00%

Thread: [Award Winner] Creating old, weathered paper using the Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for pointing it out. The forum was migrated a while back and the link was broken. I've fixed the link to point to the correct location of the referenced thread.

-Rob A>

i was able to download and look forward to using it! i'm reinstalling gimp just to try this out. ^^
    arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no desho ka?

Pen and Paper Games... never game alone again!

KadoKado games, win Amazon gift cards by gaming!

RobA, everything you do just turns into awesome doesn't it? Although there were quite a few grunge brushes to choose from, I guess that lets people have their own style.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Guild Apprentice

Praise

superb tutorial, this whole forum is fantastic (especially for someone who just stupidly agreed to DM a new 4e campaign for some reprobates)

This is an image I've been playing about with this evening, the original is 1280x1024

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...velerguide.jpg

Amazing ! I already feel like I rock at using GIMP.
    Thanks a lot for this great tutorial!

Hi, I'm just getting my feet wet with all the great tutorials here and I have a question.
    In the last steps of the tutorial, you make some of the text have that "rubbed away" look. I was just wondering if there is a way to link up the texture of the map to this rubbed off process. It seems logical to me that the bright points on the texture are representing areas of more wear/less stain and thus text might be more likely to be rubbed off on these sections.
    I've been playing around with layer masks (seems like this is the way to achieve this) but I can't quite figure out how to use the mask to duplicate the texture which I could then overlay on just the text and bleed the high areas away (without changing the paper look). I hope that makes sense.
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks soooooo much - for saving me a lot of time on many projects!

Default Re:

I went through the tutorial and here's what I noted.

When trying to shrink, make sure the white background layer is selected. Then select by using select all (ctrl-a) and then go to select->Shrink.

The PDF mentions distress, but in newer Gimp versiosn, this is now called DISTORT and is also under select.

Very useful! I'll try.