Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My world in creation: fygl

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Wow theres a lot going on there that I could comment on but ill restrain myself to more important bits.

We had a galactic / solar system type map challenge recently which you might like to check out and either of your two I would have voted for. They are first class. I don't know why you crossed over the lines to the legend in first map but its all laid out in sequence in the second.

The antialiasing is very nice in all your work. I guess thats from the high res that your using. I thought that there was some hint of illustrator / inkscape in there because of the neat lines then I changed my mind and went for a 3D app. Is it all 3DMax or similar then ?

I like satellite maps too and I write some stuff to make them. The erosion in your land mass looks like a wilbur but the erosion on the mountains looks like something else. Also the lowlands seem to be done by a 3rd method but I cant be sure. The result is terrific. If your able to just slightly tone down the river start (mountainous regional bits) then it would look more realistic but probably less useful since at satellite range you cant see small rivers. I like the flow of silt out to see too.

The labeling of the world going from almost transparent large text up to more opaque white small text is something I haven't seen for a while. I think I remember that Zaon maps doing this and its a really cool way to do it.

I will look at your green / grey thing and take some notes there. Thanks for showing and have some rep !

EDIT -- are you able to post a small section of some of that land at full res. Zooming it up its still fine detail in there at pixel level. Just curious to see how far you take it to.
    Wow i havent seen those maps before, they great, i wished i had been there for that solar system challenge.

Well the lines over the legend ? im not sure what u mean there.

For the tidy lines bit i actually used both raster & vectors, and i have used max for the planets, Yes i do use wilbur quite a bit & in my opinion its just one of those less known programs out there that are just a miracle, the low lands ummm, there really isnt a 3rd method its actually the main method (i use satelite images as stock which i cannibalise & prepare to give me stock earth materials, which mainly involves bluring, trimming & makking tileable, i try too to remove all trace of cities and earth landmarks so i can make totally not earth related maps).

I remember only one zaon map, which was the galaxy one, is that the one you mean?, but yeah i like using white, specially for high contrast.

Amoliski: well its really not a campaign, its more of a setting intended to be developed to detail ranging from biology, technology & social stuff, though im sure that a campaign could be made out of it though i wouldnt know how to go about it as ive never done or played a role play campaign, most of my maps and graphics are for stories or settings.

Anyway ty everyone for the kudos.

how did you import your map into google earth?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    Wow i havent seen those maps before, they great, i wished i had been there for that solar system challenge.
    You must have joined right at the point it was running.

Well the lines over the legend ? im not sure what u mean there.
    Its no big deal but ill attach a pic anyway. I just wondered why you didnt just put them in reverse order and keep the lines from crossing.

For the tidy lines bit i actually used both raster & vectors, and i have used max for the planets, Yes i do use wilbur quite a bit & in my opinion its just one of those less known programs out there that are just a miracle, the low lands ummm, there really isnt a 3rd method its actually the main method (i use satelite images as stock which i cannibalise & prepare to give me stock earth materials, which mainly involves bluring, trimming & makking tileable, i try too to remove all trace of cities and earth landmarks so i can make totally not earth related maps).
    Wilbur is a great program and lots of people use it a lot around here. I dont use it much - just for some file format transforms but I understand it has a palette. I use a program I wrote to do a similar task and also have a selection of terrain types as tilable swatches which get blended (not blender tho) together to make the final based on various parameters. I was checking out your image and sampling the RGB and most of the green looking pixels are green but I see what you mean in that they are only just a bit more green than grey. I will definitely look again at my colour balance based on your tip cos it looks very good in your pic.

I remember only one zaon map, which was the galaxy one, is that the one you mean?, but yeah i like using white, specially for high contrast.
    Yeah it was that galaxy poster map. I was just looking at it again. He used a big version of the font but in outline mode instead of filled. I think its also semi-transparent too but then I think all the text was. That was one amazing poster map tho.

Oh yeah i see what you mean, it was becouse the planets too where in order of ordit & if i had done it the other way the first planet would had been pointing to the third orbit.

Oh you are the programer of geotersys, i actually wanted to buy it a while ago but the page doesnt have a link to where i can do it.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah i see what you mean, it was becouse the planets too where in order of ordit & if i had done it the other way the first planet would had been pointing to the third orbit.
    Ahh I see now. Its because the lines connect to the orbits on the left side of the sun so must be reversed to keep the planets in order.

Oh you are the programer of geotersys, i actually wanted to buy it a while ago but the page doesnt have a link to where i can do it.
    Yes I have that dubious accolade. Its a useful and powerful program but its insanely hard to control. Its a terrain language really so runs a kind of shell. Its designed to be put into makefiles and automated which from this point of view it does real well. The idea is that at some point I should write a user interface that actually drives it by writing the scripts for it and in that way you can interface with it in a slightly more sensible manner. At present there are times I have to get the program debugger out to see why its doing what it does. Almost always its right and its user error but a small problem with one setting can make a big difference to another seemingly unrelated item which is hard as a user to figure out. So it is in a kind of permanent pre-release state unfortunately. Also you need a heavy box to run it. 4Gb of ram and a quad core is the kind of thing and even then its not super quick. Both myself and Waldronate who does Wilbur are waiting on OpenCL to get a proper interface to graphics card accel. I have looked into CUDA which is very similar but I feel as though I might as well get it cross vendor instead. I always planned to change the name from GTS to GTX - the extreme edition - when that happened but I doubt I will.

Quote Originally Posted by slovakism View Post
    how did you import your map into google earth?
    The instruction for creating an image overlay in google earth are here (that starts with a right click, btw):

http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4...eoverlays.html
    Here are the quick steps to cover the whole globe with an image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gr.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	14651

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Ahh I see now. Its because the lines connect to the orbits on the left side of the sun so must be reversed to keep the planets in order.

Yes I have that dubious accolade. Its a useful and powerful program but its insanely hard to control. Its a terrain language really so runs a kind of shell. Its designed to be put into makefiles and automated which from this point of view it does real well. The idea is that at some point I should write a user interface that actually drives it by writing the scripts for it and in that way you can interface with it in a slightly more sensible manner. At present there are times I have to get the program debugger out to see why its doing what it does. Almost always its right and its user error but a small problem with one setting can make a big difference to another seemingly unrelated item which is hard as a user to figure out. So it is in a kind of permanent pre-release state unfortunately. Also you need a heavy box to run it. 4Gb of ram and a quad core is the kind of thing and even then its not super quick. Both myself and Waldronate who does Wilbur are waiting on OpenCL to get a proper interface to graphics card accel. I have looked into CUDA which is very similar but I feel as though I might as well get it cross vendor instead. I always planned to change the name from GTS to GTX - the extreme edition - when that happened but I doubt I will.
    Well shame its at that stage becouse its neb of the programs id love to use, but i think i can manage the requirements as im using a high end gamming pc.

Ah so wilburn is still being updated, i hope he sorts out some bugs though (like it crashes when doing insise flows for maps larger than 9000 px wide).

Well but i will keep an eye on program so i can get it as soon as it becomes available (please price reasonably lol).

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The instruction for creating an image overlay in google earth are here (that starts with a right click, btw):

http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4...eoverlays.html
    Here are the quick steps to cover the whole globe with an image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gr.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	14651

-Rob A>
    Thank you!

You sure have a bit of a project going on here...huh...and looking good. Repped of course...

Ah so wilburn is still being updated, i hope he sorts out some bugs though (like it crashes when doing insise flows for maps larger than 9000 px wide).
    Bugs which are never mentioned are slow to be fixed. I take it that the crash problem for very large maps is with the 32-bit version?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast