Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP question

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    But then she likes to watch TV.

But will they give me shortcuts within an app when I use the open dialog there? I guess not...rats.
    Rats it is, you're stuck with the dialog choices provided by the app.

Oh man...downloading now....you've just saved even more time in my life.
    You think so??? You don't know the half of it. A very slippery slope indeed. So many launchers; any one might be a bit better for you, ... or a lot better. They all have to be looked at (well lots anyway) and many of them tried. And then others are brought to your attention.

It's OK once you know what works for you. Maybe. There seem to be quite a few addicts who find a new laucher every six months (or less) and claim that each is the best thing since sliced bread.

As you can see, I use quite a few. They each do something different. And they do save a lot of time. I probably would not have so many if I didn't use so many apps.

I'll stick with this one thanks. I can just type the start of the name of the map / texture I want to open and it will open regardless of folder. That's good enough for me!

I really should listen to RobA's recommendations more, his one about launchy just passed me by!

If you want to look at a lot of folders at once (I do), you might want to look at using some different File Explorers. Maybe you do already.

My heavyweight is Directory Opus; lots of functions (far too many to mention) with a strength in image exploring compared to many others. Not cheap though, at least for a file explorer.

And yet, the one I use most of the time is Q-Dir. Mostly because it has 4 panels open (can be less if you wish), so it is very easy to search, copy between, different folders. Portable. Updates almost every other week. And free. Available from http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=freeware/Q-Dir. Pretty well always open on my desktop.

Here's a brief review of some (keyboard) lauchers:-
    http://lifehacker.com/351117/the-qui...ndows-showdown

If you are often using the mouse when you want to launch something, it is worth having one of the docks installed; or all 3

And, as I think of it, you might find programs like Direct Folders or XFilesDialog or Filebox eXtender helpful. They do modify/extend the Open Dialogs.
    Last edited by dormouse; 05-05-2009 at 08:05 PM.

RobA...I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. You are a genius. The first link made me go grey with fear but the second one was easy peasy lemon squeezy...this is going to save me more time than I can think of....thank you so much! Rep? Have my firstborn instead!

Ravs, instead of doing all this extra work and installing shells and whatnot, I won't give you the lecture about that, why not simply rename the folder to "_My Maps"?

People really do like over engineering this stuff when the answer is so much simpler.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

That may be, but it is not a good long term solution. When you run into this problem again, you know where I'm at.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast