Thread: First Time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks! all of you guys make this seem so easy! I have to say as frustating as it is for me, I am having alot of fun more often than not!

Any suggestion for the room in the lower part of the map? I didnt have to much of a plan on this when I first made it. I was just thinking of it as some type of ruin that was repurposed.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Personally, I love the steps for that raised room...I think it's the best room in the place. If it was an old mini shrine type thing then I'd put in some sort of busted statue, broken pillars, other brick-a-brack like that, maybe a rug, or an altar. Don't overdo the decorating, though, or those details come to dominate the thing. Here's a much simpler idea...put in a bath tub and make it the wash room
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Kalzix View Post
    Thanks! all of you guys make this seem so easy! I have to say as frustating as it is for me, I am having alot of fun more often than not!
    I bet you would be surprised how much time most people fuss and redo their map over and over. The main thing, like you said, is that you *enjoy* fussing and obsessing!

I like the new version a lot. One recommendation would be to block out the grid outside of the actual map... I think that makes the actual floor of the map stand out a little stronger.

Ok I removed the grid off the parts that aren't actual map. I also toned down the grid a little bit. Does this make the map look nicer to you guys? I think it looks a little better. Im still working on something to place in the bottom room. Im trying to make everything by hand atm and im not very good in the arts department lol.

Ok so I tried putting an altar in. Im not sure im happy with how it looks tho.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_third_attempt.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	747.6 KB 
ID:	13169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip_fourth_attempt.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	721.8 KB 
ID:	13190  
    Last edited by Kalzix; 05-10-2009 at 02:47 AM.

The objects you're using are good, but if you're interested there's some pretty cool stuff at the Dundjinni user creations forum. They're...fancier might be the best word. More elaborate.

Additionally, I've found the bump mapping and drop shadow filters very helpful in creating stairs and raised areas of all kinds. Gradients are also helpful in that area. I'm actually still having a slightly hard time making raised platforms and stairs and whatnot that I'm completely happy with. Trial and error and all that.

I'm a GIMP mapping newbie like you, and I've actually learned a ton from doing RobA's amazingly awesome tutorial on making Regional maps. It's not all applicable to your dungeon mapping endeavors, but what you'll learn about layer masks and overlays are a pretty sweet deal by themselves. I plan on applying a lot of the lessons I learned in his tutorial to my next dungeon.

Thanks Ill check it out right now! Im pretty bad with masks (understatement) Sometimes it all works other times I just end up being confused lol. Ive looked at the packs etc. In the future i'll use em I think but for now im trying to get a feel for what Im able to do with my own two hands so to speak.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Im going to shelve this one for now im mostly happy with it as it is now Im going to move onto a new project!
    Last edited by Kalzix; 05-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalzix View Post
    Im pretty bad with masks (understatement) Sometimes it all works other times I just end up being confused lol.
    Run, I repeat, RUN (don't walk, soiree, jaunt, meander, saunter, creep, stroll, etc... RUN) over and read this tutorial http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3143

-Rob A>

PS Alecthar, thanks for the complement