Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Guild Novice

Does anyone notice any differences in how various programs work with tablets (other than the feature in Gimp that has different default tools for different input devices)? It's been awhile since I used Photoshop, but I seem to remember it being easier to use the tablet in Photoshop than Gimp.

I don't have any experience with GIMP so I couldn't comment on its differences, but PhotoShop can be set to use different tools for different devices. In fact, I believe most apps can, because each device is set in the Wacom software manager.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Guild Novice

I don't have Photoshop, though I used to (I used it at school). I remember loving using my tablet with Photoshop. It seemed to work perfectly. I have recently tried using it with Gimp, and find that the tablet suddenly feels unwieldy and the drawing is not as easy as I seem to remember. It doesn't seem to be malfunctioning in any way, though. That's why I wondered if they behave differently in different programs.

I also don't have a Wacom. To be honest, I don't know what brand my tablet is. It was given as a gift (from a friend who received it as a gift and never used it). I can't find the box it came on, and it doesn't look like either the pen or the tablet has a brand name on it.

Here are the details if anyone knows what it is:
    There's a sticker on the back that says WP5540(U), but image searching that pulls up a bunch of tablets that don't look like my tablet. It's dark blue, the screen is not perfectly rectangular but is more of a curved inverted trapezoid and has a grid sheet overlaying it. There is an upraised semi-circle at the top with a hole for a pen, and the bottom of the tablet is artistically curved outwards at both ends and in the center.

It is known that the tablet is "slower" to respond in gimp than in photoshop. This especially a problem with large (or scaled up) brushes.

Ideally, use the ink and airbrush tools with the tablet, as they are optimized for it.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Awesome, thanks for responding!

I find using a tablet increases workflow exponentially for me. Not only can I draw with it, it's easier to erase with, and the shortcut keys on the intuos3 are really useful.

I'm speaking for photoshop and autocad here, not sure how it interacts with GIMP.
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

Quote Originally Posted by misteradam View Post
    it's easier to erase with
    this x 1000

I've had an old Wacom Graphire (no, not Graphire2, or Graphire3, just an original, ancient Graphire), and I believe it's the smallest size they make... And for Photoshop, I've never felt as though I've needed more. When it comes to cartography, I probably use stylus and mouse about 50/50... There are some precision things I'd rather use the mouse for, and 'organic' things I can accomplish more naturally with the stylus.

When it comes to my artwork, I always used my stylus just for coloring. Now that I've begun to work in vector, I do wish I had a bigger tablet, but it's still really quite usable. Again, I find myself drawing at first with the stylus, then making corrections and tweaks with my mouse (or touchpoint in the case of my laptop).

Photoshop's use of pressure-sensitive tools with a stylus is awesome, and I've heard good things about styluses with tilt-sensitivity too. And yes, erasing is as easy as flipping the stylus around, just like a pencil.

I enjoy working with my tablet in the Gimp. I was silly and bought an a4 oversized tablet, though, and that's giving me a bit of grief in that I can barely reach the far right corner.

Gimp doesn't like it when I switch the tablet to mouse mode, however. That is a bit of a limitation, but it's still good.

Oh yeah, that reminds me... The mouse that came with my tablet was pathetic, I used it only a year, maybe year and a half tops. I wore the darn thing out clicking with it. When my dad pried the lil bugger open to see if he could repair it, we found that it wasn't a matter of a piece of plastic wearing... The circuit board on the inside actually warped on one corner. So, for the last... I dunno... Five years or so, I've been using my wacom stylus in addition to a normal, USB optical mouse. I prefer it to the one that was limited to my tablet actually, because it gives me considerably more range of movement.

Page 22 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast