Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

SandmanNet made me wonder - quoted from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanNet View Post
    I live and die by my Wacom tablets. I have the A4 Intuos3 (looking to buy a Intuos 4 wireless now) and two Cintiq 21UX, one at home and one at work. These are amazing tools and I couldn't do anything without them.
    Just curious, why would you want an Intuos4 if you already have the latest Cintiq? Is there something it can do that the Cintiq doesn't? I've been thinking the Cintiq is the Cat's meow.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    SandmanNet made me wonder - quoted from another thread:

Just curious, why would you want an Intuos4 if you already have the latest Cintiq? Is there something it can do that the Cintiq doesn't? I've been thinking the Cintiq is the Cat's meow.

It really is! But in my setup at home and at work, the Cintiq is the second (or third) display, so when using it, I have to move my workspace over to it. Not much of an hassle, but for those small touches it sometimes is a bit too much.

Plus, the Intuos is very mobile, and having a wacom tablet when I'm on the go is really nice (it's where my intuos is used for now a lot, but it's wired)

So the Wacom Intuos4 Medium was on sale her for $334CDN so I bit the bullet and picked it up.

Wow. Sooooo much nicer than my old Graphire 3 (which I will be selling on kijji in case anyone in southern Ontario wants to purchase a starter tablet ). The feel is very nice, and the buttons/ring thing are quite handy. I'm still getting everything set up for working in Gimp as it comes all preconfigured for adobe products.

It also came with Corel Sketchpad, Sketchbook Express, Photoshop Elements 8, and some brushes and filters, but I haven't looked at those yet.

-Rob A>

I recently picked up the Logitech g13 mini keyboard/joystick to macro Photoshop and Artrage keys. I have my Intuos 3 on my right side and that on my left. It works well provided I can resist the ingrained desire to pull out the keyboard every time I need to enter a shortcut. It does speed up my work and keeps my arms on the top of the desk and off the keyboard drawer.

I have been having issues as of late with my intuos losing its settings. I usually have to clear the profile and restore the backup to get it working again has anyone else encountered this?
    Have you dressed your dungeon lately?
    GREYTALE.COM

Guild Novice Kiarelle Alaisdair's Avatar

I've had a Intuos 3 for a few years now, its a great tablet and its worked very well for me; though this coming Christmas it looks like I might be getting a 4, which I would love. A Cintiq would be lovely but I don't expect that for another two years or so. Upside of graduation looming and parents wanting to know what to get as a present. Not only is it pretty, amazing and makes my artist's heart race its also something I can sell as 'an investment in my career'.

For those who have the Intuos4 how are you liking it? I've heard its amazing at picking up pen pressure and tilt.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

i got a 4 last year - and i haven't looked back, not once, not even to say "omg i can't believe I didn't get one before"
    I haven't been doing as much mapping or other art lately, but I'm trying to keep in practice with stuff. The pressure sensitivity, to me, is like using a real pen/brush. I honestly don't use the buttons on the tablet too much, but that's partly because I have all my common hotkeys mapped to a belkin Speedpad n50 (basically a mini 10 key keyboard with scrollwheel and d-pad, designed for gaming but I map keys to it for photoshop, illustrator, firefox, word, etc as well).

I've never had to decide between my wife and my tablet, which is a good thing. They're both lovely

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice
    Neubrandenburg/Mecklenburg-Vorpommern/Germany

hey guys, I have a question... of course I could skim through all of the 37 pages of this thread in hope of getting my answer, but frankly I don't have the time I'd need for that.
    I'm wondering If I should buy a tablet or not. ( OHHH what surprise!! ) The point is I'm just now making my A levels and then going to study. In other words I have to turn every Penny thrice before deciding to buy something. Is the Quality really that better, with a tablet? Or is it just easier and faster?

Hi. I'm assuming you mean versus a mouse? If that's correct then the answer is a resounding "yes!" There's simply a lot of stuff you can't do with a mouse that you can with a tablet. I still use my mouse for many tasks related to mapmaking (marquee selecting, dragging things in layers, etc.) but I don't ever use it for drawing.

I'm sure there are other acceptable brands but you can't go wrong with Wacom. If you're watching pennies then something like a small Graphire or Bamboo may be the right tool for you. I have not used Bamboo so can't speak to its quality but loved my old Graphire. Maybe check eBay for a used one? For that matter you might be able to get a used Intuos on eBay.

Hope this helps.
    M

Guild Novice
    Neubrandenburg/Mecklenburg-Vorpommern/Germany

ok then I'll look for a used one. Thanks mearrin69!

I always go for tabs. Its easier since mouse keeps on slipping off my hands.

Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast