Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Has anyone tried out the new Wacom Inkling? Any experiences with it? I get the feeling it would be fantastic for vectorizing my little mountains and trees for making maps and such

http://inkling.wacom.eu/pages/Inkling-en.html

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carltinmar View Post
    I always go for tabs. Its easier since mouse keeps on slipping off my hands.
    you're supposed to put your hand on top of the mouse, not the other way round

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

It seems most aspects have been covered, yet I would like to add some of my own experience (what has become a wall of text, lol). Never know when it might help another. Unfortunately I didn't find a lot of help when I originally started to use tablets and had a bit of a learning experience and spent more than I would have liked to.

Curently, I use both a mouse and tablet, depending on the project. I learned PS with a mouse, and find I am much more comfortable with using it for more mechanical heavy art. For instance, if I am constantly applying layer alterations, adjustment layers, or textures and filters then I find I am clicking more often than drawing, and a mouse feels much more natural to me for that...especially since it fits my hand and it feels like my hand is floating on it more than directing something around, lol.

With the exceptions of my space scenes I prefer to sketch, draw, and paint with a tablet. The abilities the tablet allows you, such lines and brushes flowing smoothly, respond to pressure, rotation, or even tilt, is incomparable with a mouse in my opinion. You can use the pen tool in PS to mimic such features, but it is excessively time consuming compared to tablet and pen. It is not impossible to create beautiful works with a mouse, I have seen amazing painting created with mice. My very first digital painting was done with a mouse and came out rather nice.

As for the size of the tablet that would really depend on what you can afford and your drawing/painting styles. If you use more of your arm, make larger movements, especially if you do these quickly when expressing yourself artistically, then a larger tablet might feel more natural or comfortable to you. If you are more detail driven, working from one small section to another, are accustomed to minute movements, barely moving your arm, or working from your wrist, then a smaller tablet would be a good starting place. You are not limited by your movement styles though. I started with a large one, 10" x 6". My styles vary and I tend to do equal amounts of large painting movements as I do minute detail. My first tablet was very hard for me to get accustom to. It was a poor quality tablet, I forget the brand now, and the eye hand coordination was quite hard for me.

When I paint freely with watercolor and acrylics I work away from my art, and the tablet worked for such things. However, when I draw detailed, like maps, I tend to lean over my art, lean close as I work, more out of habit than need, but I did find it a task to switch to a tablet for such things. In the end, after much patience and a finally using a good tablet i find it natural now, and cannot believe how much of a struggle it was at first for me.

During my tablet transitions I learned I could do just as much with a 4.9" x 3.4" tablet as I could with a larger one. Patience, and you can learn to make large sketches with a small tablet. The perks of a smaller tablet is that its less movement to get your cursor across a larger area. I use a medium now as I have moved up to an Intros4 and it feels more balanced the way I use it. My monitor is 21.5-inch and 1920 x1080 res, and I found the smaller tablet just as comfortable as the other sizes as far as getting around on the screen.

"In addition I've heard that Wacom is "The" only tablet you should consider buying."
    I have tried quite a few brands and found the wacom to be well above the others on so many levels. They are really deserving of the positive reviews they get.

As I said, I forgot the brand of the first one I bought, it was complete rubbish. I wish I could recall. Still, here is a list of the tablets I have tried:

DigiPro The response felt slow, and jumped a lot. I was told by customer service that I needed to re-install the software, I did, still continued jumping, and not little bits. After I contacted them again they said it was my computer and they could do nothing. No warranty

Genius It was alright, worked fine enough till the cord that connects the USB port shorted out after about a year, the pen had to be replaced once in that time also. My friend has one and she says she likes it though. The mouse was tragic, but the average mouse is compared to the one i have been using (not really fair judgment, lol).

Kanvus I absolutely loathed it. And they have terrible customer service, dont even want to go into it...bad times...

Bamboo Pen Got it because it was not that pricey and by this point i was a little wary of spending much, lol. I loved it, but finally moved up to the Intros4, and like it even more. Just waiting for the day to get a Cintiq. ..oh btw, i have had no issues with the mouse, speed and responses are fine.

Sorry this ended up so long, but if it helps just one person then I feel its justified.

I'm saving up for a medium Intuos4 right now. My trusty little bamboo has served me well, but I've been ogling the Intuos for a while. I recently built a new pc as well so I figure it's time to upgrade the tablet as well.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by cereth View Post
    I'm saving up for a medium Intuos4 right now. My trusty little bamboo has served me well, but I've been ogling the Intuos for a while. I recently built a new pc as well so I figure it's time to upgrade the tablet as well.
    That is the one I bought. A big step up from my old Graphire 3. The sensitivity is much nicer, and it "feels" good.

-Rob A>

I use a mouse, for it is a testament to my brokeness.

Guild Novice

I'm using a tablet right now. You don't need an expensive tablet to be able to see the benefits first hand. Just about any tablet that works well will do. I recommend a Bamboo connect for $79. I personally am using my old Wacom Graphire 2. Pen still has a working nib (never changed it in 10 years). You can replace the nibs and change them for tool type on the new Intuos Pens. I'm not sure if they work on other tablets, ut the Bamboo pen comes with spare standard nibs anyway.

100% mouse for me BUT.

On a recent plane flight I sat behind a graphic designer doing some stunning work on his ipad. I have to say it was excellent.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I hope it was fine to ask here instead of creating a new thread about it. I apologize if I put it in the wrong place.

I currently have Genius Tablet, but I want to update to something better. It is really hard to actually draw with the tablet, though coloring is very easy with it (I do not know why). So I was wondering, should I just save up (will probably take another year xD) for an Intuos3/4 (if so, which one is better?) or would Bamboo Create work well enough? I heard Create is just as good as Intuos4, minus the pressure issue, which I was told isn't much of a difference if you practice with the Create tablet.

My price range is 100$, but my sister will be pitching in around 50$ as well (we're both artists), and I think I'd be able to squeeze in another 20 (not very sure of it though). So, if I bought a Create, would I regret it down the line in like a year or two? I heard Intuos4 pen nubs wear down so you have to replace them and the texture sheet over the board every 5-6 months, which to me seems like a con.

Thanks to anyone who can help me and again, I apologize if I erred and should have made a thread instead.

Alex~

Difference: Bamboo has 512 levels, Intuos has 1024, so its just more sensitive. Also, Intuos has tilt angle support, but I don't know what that really means... I have done fine for the past 4 years with my Bamboo...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 38 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast