Thread: Large Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

nice i really like the statue Alectar!

Nice start. This map would benefit from a bit of shadow on the walls (or a bevel, but I prefer a shadow) to give it a bit of depth away from the thick outer walls.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Nice start. This map would benefit from a bit of shadow on the walls (or a bevel, but I prefer a shadow) to give it a bit of depth away from the thick outer walls.
    What's the most efficient way to do that in Gimp? I'm pretty unsure exactly how to wield the "Drop Shadow" filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    What's the most efficient way to do that in Gimp? I'm pretty unsure exactly how to wield the "Drop Shadow" filter.
    Make a selection that has just the walls outline shape on it. I usually turn off all the other layers except the one with the walls shape. Take this selection and invert it (so that the selected parts are the "walls" interior. Now you wan to grow(or shrink) the selection (see the selection menu in GIMP) so that the selection is slightly bigger than the original(if you turn the grey walls back on, the selection should be out in the rooms by a few (2-5) px instead of inside any of the walls. Fill with black. Move the layer to below the walls and above the floor texture. Turn off the selection and use G. Blur to suit. Probably 5 px, perhaps 10. This depends on how much bigger the selection was that you filled with black.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Make a selection that has just the walls outline shape on it. I usually turn off all the other layers except the one with the walls shape. Take this selection and invert it (so that the selected parts are the "walls" interior. Now you wan to grow(or shrink) the selection (see the selection menu in GIMP) so that the selection is slightly bigger than the original(if you turn the grey walls back on, the selection should be out in the rooms by a few (2-5) px instead of inside any of the walls. Fill with black. Move the layer to below the walls and above the floor texture. Turn off the selection and use G. Blur to suit. Probably 5 px, perhaps 10. This depends on how much bigger the selection was that you filled with black.
    If there were a statistic on "Filter Used Most," kept in GIMP, mine would easily be Gaussian Blur.

Despite that, your method never occurred to me. God I feel dumb sometimes.

I'm trying to get a .zip with my .xcf uploaded, but it appears my internet connection is being a punk and won't let me.

Here is an example that shows how big a difference this can make. Left is just a background, and inner wall (with bevel) and a floor. Right is exactly the same thing but adding a slight shadow to the wall. See how it makes a world of difference? The one of the right looks like it has more depth and is "sunken" into the background texture.

Sorry about the craptastic textures used, but i am at work instead of home where I have better stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Difference.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	13896  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Sorry about the craptastic textures used, but i am at work instead of home where I have better stuff.
    .....mmmmmm..... Default gimp amethyst.....

Yeah - what he says about a shadow would help.

Also, try a rendered cloud layer over the floor layer, set in overlay. That will break up the repeating pattern of the floor a bit.

-Rob A>