Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tablet talk

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good thing that I do not have the same problem that JFJ has or I would surely go nuts (I use PS so no problemo there). I'd probably have thrown my Intuous against a wall.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good thing that I do not have the same problem that JFJ has or I would surely go nuts (I use PS so no problemo there). I'd probably have thrown my Intuous against a wall.
    if you ever smash it, dibs on the parts!

I bought a tablet for the first time about a month ago. It's definately true that it's not like drawing with a pen/pencil because it is slightly disorientating at first that what you draw appears somewhere else.

For me, I found the key thing was to just practice constantly (I bought mine for actual drawings as well as maps, and spent a couple of weeks playing broken picture telephone a lot =P) and your brain adjusts fairly quickly. After which I think it feels pretty natural.

Since buying one though, I definately wouldn't go back to drawing with a mouse.

I found intensive practice to be the best way to get accustomed to the tablet. Knowing all the keyboard commands for your application is also a must, since it allows you to just draw with your right hand.

When I worked with a mouse, my left hand was always poised over the keyboard to access all the tools/menus via shortcuts leaving my right hand free to draw. For anything that I needed to do often, I changed Photoshop's keyboard commands to suit my needs (I now have a shortcut key for rotate object 90º for instance).

Changing from a mouse to a tablet was a pretty natural transition. Since I work with a laptop I find I don't bother to use a mouse anymore; basic UI type stuff I can do with the touchpad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12