Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
Is the 3rd one a cryptic thing which you have to solve or more literal where you find the steps by the river then over the bridge etc ?
Unfortunately the whole map wouldn't fit on the scanner, so you only see the center portion. It is intended to be cryptic: There is a poem/song that accompanies it that tells the story of what the 3-panel picture of the king, his city and the wizard are dipicting. The leafy vine in the picture is actually a symbol used in the royal family's crest. If you look closely you will notice a leaf in the waterfall marking a hidden entrance. While the map does show a stair on a cliff, a bridge on a river and a mountain shielding a castle, it does not give any key to which direction the river flows or what mountain range is depicted in the distance (didn't fit on the scanner, sorry). Once again the poem must be referred to for clues: It talks of how the city was burned in the evening, and by looking at the center panel of the picture you can see that the sun is setting in a notch between two peaks. The map shows the river originating from a mountain range so it is can be surmised that the mountains are in the west and the river flows eastward. Dragons are exceedingly rare on my world and the few that are known are located on maps and talked about in stories and legends, and are in wild places people avoid. On the mountain range, just to the right of the river, is a drawing of a dragon. This further points the direction by letting the players know that they are looking for a river that flows east from western mountains and south of the reputed lair of a great wyrm.
Other clues are the Centaur, which represents that the lands are theirs, and the dancing fairy, which they will discover is a fairy ring (toadstool ring) that marks the entrance to the cave leading to the castle. I plan on re-drawing the map because I've decided to make some minor changes, but it will still remain a puzzle for my players.