Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    So far still kinda fumbling around trying to figure out which lighting effect setting in GIMP is which setting in Photoshop...
    I have never understood the gimp lighting effects filter, and it is different enough from photoshop the the kajillion photoshop tutorials don't seem to help much.

-ROb A>

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well, using the layer effects python scripts I found... I'm still having some issues... the
    21 1.Select > Color Range = use white with a fuzziness of 200. NOTE: Photoshop Elements does not have this function so skip this step. Select > Inverse. Hit the delete key then deselect. Set the fill of the layer to zero and then add a layer style of Bevel and Emboss. Style will be Emboss, Technique is Smooth, Depth is 50%, Direction is up, Size is 250, Angle is -45, Altitude is 30, Highlight Mode is white at Color Dodge and 75% opacity, Shadow Mode is black at Multiply and 75% opacity. On this layer you can use the airbrush and add in more hills or erase hills if you want.
    step cranks gimps memory usage over 5 GB and takes literally over an hour (not sure how much, only that I started it, took a shower, got dressed, ate a little, and it was still going when I went to work)... so I think i'm gonna wait until either I learn python (unlikely) or someone who knows what they're doing takes a look at the scripts and finds a way to make them not quite so resource intensive...

On the other hand, my brother in CS2 is really enjoying the tutorial.... and I really only started whacking at it for the sake of a GIMP conversion...

I did however learn a lot and picked up some tricks for when I do take a stab at city maps again!
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

The scripts create bevels by growing (or shrinking) the selection a pixel at a time in order to build a bumpmap by filling with the appropriate grey. So, to make this emboss, you are growing the selection 250 times with flood fills each time...

It is most likely the undo buffer growing out of control that chews up the memory until you are thrashing the swap space.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The scripts create bevels by growing (or shrinking) the selection a pixel at a time in order to build a bumpmap by filling with the appropriate grey. So, to make this emboss, you are growing the selection 250 times with flood fills each time...

It is most likely the undo buffer growing out of control that chews up the memory until you are thrashing the swap space.

-Rob A>
    Yeah, I figured that out by watching it... I'd ask some questions, but that'd take away from the tut... I've got a thread in the software discussion board about them...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Thanks for the great tutorial.

I'm trying to work through the river section and I'm stuck on step 31.

"31. Duplicate this layer (it becomes River base copy 3). On the layer stack, right click on this layer and choose Clear Layer Style. Ctrl+click on the River base layer to load it as a selection..."

Am I supposed to ctrl+click on the copy 3 layer and the river base layer at the same time?

Or am I supposed to ctrl+click on the river base layer?

When I do either one I am unable to Select>Modify because modify is grayed out.

I'm using PS CS4.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should be control clicking the river base itself, with no other layers, if I recall (wasn't that long ago I worked through this).

Do make sure you are ctrl-clicking the thumbnail picture on the layer stack though, otherwise you're just adding a second layer to your layer selections.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Do make sure you are ctrl-clicking the thumbnail picture on the layer stack though, otherwise you're just adding a second layer to your layer selections.
    Thanks that's what it was, not clicking the thumbnail.

Excellent guess on my part then, it sounded like the same problem i had when I first upgraded to CS3 - it took me ages to develop the new habit. In PS7 and before you can just click anywhere in the layer stack and it makes the selection.. But they had to find some way to work it in now that you can select multiple layers (omg that's one of the best things they ever added).

Mystery solved! Now I look forward to seeing your work

My finished maps

Okay .... well ... >< I am suck at the begining haha. This is my first time using PS sooo I would expect nothing less than this haha.

11. Now we are going to paint in a rough river valley with black and then we are going to go over everything else with white. We will leave some gray around the valley edges.

I ended up with something that was like the attached file.

This is just the bottom corner of it, but what I dont get is if I am supposed to make the background around the river completely white like I have or if I am just supposed put one layer of white .... ><
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.bmp 
Views:	64 
Size:	292.6 KB 
ID:	17402  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast