Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Regional map of Verena

Post Regional map of Verena

So, it's been a few years since I really used Campaign Cartographer 3 itself to create regional maps (been using City Designer 3 exclusively). Tonight I started messing with a regional map of Verena (to see its location in the world: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2977). It's a bit of a tryout, created in an hour, and it seems I still have a lot to learn when creating regional maps

Didn't finish the labeling yet and not sure I will. It was fun to map again, though.
    I kinda rushed the map and there's some stacking issues. Maybe I will fix them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verena regio3.JPG 
Views:	297 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	15587  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-06-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Good results if you really did this just in 1 hour. Speedmapping!

Thats pretty neat Gandwarf. I actually experimented with what you did with that town, use a bunch of smaller symbols to make the town. I may make use of that, I like the "ringed town" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    Good results if you really did this just in 1 hour. Speedmapping!
    Oh yeah, it's only one hour. An advantage of CC3 I think. You can create a map right from the start and very fast. Mastering it however takes ages...
    Looking at this map again, I am certain I will redo it sometime
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I thought that looked familiar when I first glanced at it.. then i remembered it's from your Eeuwige Sneeuw map

I recall you commenting that you were looking to see it in a different style, so i downloaded it to keep around for inspiration and nag at the back of my mind (I'm still puttering with some other projects, but I'm almost ready to do something with it, if you still want) I am liking the way your new version looks though.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Yeah, this map is a region from that map, which you call "Eeuwige sneeuw".
    The map isn't called like that though. "Eeuwige sneeuw" is a label which means "Eternal snow". Most of the world is covered in snow and ice and only the valley can sustain life (it's a pretty large valley, a few million people live there).
    Verena is a small village which lies outside of the valley, near the eternal snow plains. The village is there because of the forest.

If you are going to do something with the overland map (not this regional one, this is just an experiment) let me know. I can give you some more info and translate some more labels. Most of the labels mean something.

I am writing a fantasy story and Verena is a very big part of it. So I wanted to have a regional map to see where everything is located.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Ah, I get it. It looked like the label at the bottom was the map title

Yes, I'll definitely let you know before I do anything with it.. Right now I'm working on a town (testing out Ascension's tutorial - bit of a slog since city planning is not my forte, that's the part slowing me down) and an off-site paid commission (holycrap! my first!). Plus there's an experiment I'm really keen on starting..

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Well, I attacked the map again and started from scratch. It's getting better.
    The forest is still a mess though, with lots of stacking issues. Is there a way to avoid or quickly clean up such a stacking mess? I don't want to create a huge forest fill, I liked individual trees. But the stacking drives me mad...
    Neonknight I need you

Name:	Verena regio5.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.18 MB 
ID:	15684  

Mweh... I thinned out the forest and this is working better. Need to place more trees to dense up some more now

Name:	Verena regio6.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	15687  
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-08-2009 at 09:54 PM.

I don't know why but those trees are seriously cute. Like I wanna pet them or something.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast