Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An untitled world

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That really is coming along nicely. And don't worry about the fact you're using PS7 - it's perfectly functional, I was using it myself until just a few weeks ago. And to be honest, the major difference I've seen in relation to working on projects like these are the ability to create groups for your layers, and select multiple layers at once. Everything else I can do in CS3 I can do in PS7. So your tools are perfectly functional

And really, just ask anyone else here, it's not the tool that makes the map, it's the artist. How you bring your vision across is the important thing.

keep up the great work!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I still use CS which only one step up from 7. The only thing different between our versions, that I use anyway, is the blend mode called Hard Mix. CS3 gets into more complicated things which can be handy, I suppose, and CS4 has some problems with memory usage. So if you ever get stuck, there are more than enough of us here to help you figure out work-arounds.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey LS, I've enjoyed your stuff over at DeviantArt; good to see you here too!

And wonderful job on that map; I love that look.

Good to see you here as well!

Since I have my terrain mostly done, I'm trying to begin on some human aspects: cities, towns, ports, and political entities. Since there are multiple countries in close proximity that require clear identification, I need borders of some sort.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to identifying nations on this type of map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Take a look at Ascension's Atlas-Style Tutorial, that may give you some ideas.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

t decided to redo the forests to something more fitting to this scale and having a political overlay. I also recoloured the terraina bit; The subarctic is now more like the Canadian territories, and I fixed the mountains.

The old forest style was better for a Guild Wars type of map - artsy and textured... this one should be more in the way of general terrain and climate. It will be easier to draw on at the least.

The forests in some areas look a light dusty greenish brown, but if you see a satellite photo of Italy, that's essentially what it will be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UntitledFMap4.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	541.9 KB 
ID:	16254  
    Last edited by LS-Jebus; 08-25-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You've got some really huge deltas...unless this is more of a regional scale instead of continental scale.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Indeed, after changing the scale, the deltas became a bit gigantic. I didn't fix them, but now its something to do.

I'm going to fix two of the delta-looking things to be reasonable, three will be removed, and two of them will become island clusters, like they were in the original map.

At least on a forum like this people can locate errors that I miss or forget about

edit: As a note, I will be creating another map after this one is complete. This one is the first, and won't be great since it is experimental.

I will make another based on the same world, using a different style, more focused on visual appeal. Redrawn, a higher resolution, and in general be better planned. I'm still sorting out ideas on the first map...
    Last edited by LS-Jebus; 08-26-2009 at 01:38 AM.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12