Thread: September 2009 Entry: Passage of Time - Woadsbury

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

06- I've ditched & redone my Google Maps landgrab. It wasn't big enough, especially to the north where I need the town to spread some. Instead of just extending it with another Google Maps screenshot, I went and got Google Earth and stitched together four screenshots. It wasn't much better than just regular Google Maps, really. Just more fun.

07 - ... which means I had to redo the elevation map, again, which I don't mind because it's fun painting up thousands of cubic yards of earth with a photoshop brush. You guys ever move any earth? I mean, like with a shovel? It is seriously hard work. And I build all the Woadsbury elevations while sitting on my couch, under the A/C.

08 - Screenshot of the gradient ramp colors and the Curves Adjustment Layer. I drew ten straight lines in the Curves, to give the gradient that stair-step effect. I suppose I could have posterized my elevation grayscale, but then I'd have to keep posterizing it every time I edited the terrain, or I'd have to keep choosing different shades of gray to paint with, meh. This is way easier. Plus, any time I want, I can draw eight lines in the Curves Adjustment instead of ten ... or twelve ... whatever. This is totally the easy compartmentalized way to go.

09 - I have it in mind that I want to do six distinct "time snapshots" run along the bottom of a general area map. I'm not sure I'm happy with the layout, but this is what I currently have. I want to do not only the castle, but also the town, as they grow. Ugh, I hadn't intended to do a whole town map here yet, let alone six town maps. Ugh. My projects have a way of exploding in every direction, and I end up making huge concessions just because of time. We hates it, precious; we wants infinite time to work, yes!

10 - I'm including an "area cheat" in the top right corner: southern England, and a zoom-in of Woadsbury and the county seat, Northampton. I have room under the area cheat to put some notes, or maybe just the title. Who knows. I don't know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w06-new-area-from-Google-Earth.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	16586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w07-third-elevation.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	16587   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w08-gradient-and-stairsteps.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	16588   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w09-layout-six-thumbs.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	16589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w10-upper-right-zoom.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	16590  

Last edited by töff; 09-06-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Terraforming and digging ditches is much more enjoyable when one does not have to leave the comforts of the couch This looks nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps