Thread: Space map [Octopus] [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, as a sci-fier, I have a couple of comments:

You could include an inset screen, maybe somewhere top left, with scrolled data, or an alternate projection (a 'concentric circles' system layout map, for example) or a 'radar sweep' panel.

A nitpick would be that you'll never get all those planets (and stars!) visible together. Space is huge. If you had one on screen, the others would be pinpoints - unless they were moons of the main planet. But I'm a scientist and an artistic philistine, so just ignore me!
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    A nitpick would be that you'll never get all those planets (and stars!) visible together. Space is huge. If you had one on screen, the others would be pinpoints
    I think this is more than a nitpick. I think it nails what's "wrong" with this image (which does not seem to be a map of any sort, btw). The arrangement of the planets makes no sense. It's an impossible real view ... and if it is an abstract representation of the planets, with realistic enlarged images placed in some sort of pattern for the sake of information display, then the pattern makes no sense.

I also wonder about the double-lines overlay on the largest planet. Is that some kind of surface feature? It seems not to conform with the globe in any way I'd expect (like following latitude & longitude).

It is very pretty, though. But it's confusing. I don't know what this is.