Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
Got a friend of mine who runs a really old MUD. I can dig out the name if you like but I dont know it off top of my head.

So do you have the tile features in any kind of data base whatsoever. Ideally do you have them mapped already in some ascii way cos even on this site I have an ascii to map generator.

But even if the maps just knew the numbers of exits then I reckon we could script up the basic shapes. From there we have scripts which will convert basic shapes into nice rendered maps.

So whats the starting point ?

Welcome BTW.

Hi Redrobes,

Those maps I linked to above were generated from the exits by a program in the game. The map starts at the center square and follows the exits drawing as it goes, so the data is there. The "edge" is variable, the players see a 7x7 section of the map for now, but could just as easily see the entire area. The game also tracks which rooms a player has already explored, so could also display the entire area but only what's already been visited, perhaps with a couple of rooms "line of sight" in the rooms they haven't.

Each room has a "terrain" Id such as "forest1" "forest2" "road-nw" "road-ew" etc which maps to a different ASCII tile. We'd have to be much more granular with graphical tiles, but I don't think the basic premise would change much - it was always designed with graphical tiles in mind.

Does that help answer your question? Open to all options at this point but after seeing Tom's Shadowfell map I have a pretty good idea of where we want to go.