Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barovia WIP

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I wish I could do a tutorial, everyone is always looking for ways to make nice hand drawn mountains quickly.. but there's nothing quick about it this, and it's nothing more than draw the shape of the mountain, then start shading it

I might do a set of brushes after I'm done this though. I figure if I do 20 or so, that should give enough variation to look good when slapped all over.

*ponders doing that for this map now*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    a set of brushes ... 20 or so
    Dunno about GIMP, but Photoshop lets you change brushes with the > and < keys. If you had 20 mountain brushes loaded, you could click, <, click, <, click, < ... then >>>>> to go back to the first ... click, <, click, <, click, < ... it'd be a very smooth & easy way to paint varied mountains.

THAT'S how you change brushes quickly!!! omg I never knew that.

When I was doing the previous maps with wag's brushes, I was slapping down a few of the first mountain shape in the general area, then picking the next shape and tossing a few randomly here and there, then the next shape, etc.

All these years and I'm still discovering new keyboard controls. thanks, you just made my life SO much easier!!!

Dangit, I so wanted to rep you for that pointer, I'll have to come back to this after i've spread some more around.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I saw a guy do it on a video somewhere. He didn't even say what he was doing. I couldn't see his hands; I just heard keys clicking and saw the brush outlines cycle. I was like OMG ... I don't even remember what the video was about. HAH!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

With GIMP, you can make a brush that cycles with each stamp. So with 20 brush frames, a nice wide spacing and big size/position jitters, you can make a widely varied range with one penstroke/mousestroke. It'd take a lot of setup though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks Toff. That's a killer tip.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    Dunno about GIMP, but Photoshop lets you change brushes with the > and < keys. If you had 20 mountain brushes loaded, you could click, <, click, <, click, < ... then >>>>> to go back to the first ... click, <, click, <, click, < ... it'd be a very smooth & easy way to paint varied mountains.
    I had no idea you could do that either, one of the ump-teen commands Photoshop has...Thanks!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I've been finding all sorts of tips like this all of a sudden. Maybe I should take the time to read through the CS3 bible Thoroughly instead of skipping around and skimming bits here and there

for example:
    Press Shift+[
    (Shift+left bracket) to make the brush softer; press Shift+] (Shift+right bracket) to make the brush
    harder. Both shortcuts work in 25-percent increments. For example, you have to press Shift+] four

times to go from 0 percent Hardness to 100 percent.

Preset shortcuts:
    You can cycle between presets even when no palette is visible. Press the
    comma (,) to toggle to the previous brush shape in the list. Press the period (.) to select
    the next brush shape. You also can press Shift+, (comma) to select the first brush shape
    in the list (1 pixel wide) and Shift+. (period) to select the last brush.

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

A guy I used to work with had created a 'cheat sheet' with a list of the known commands - boy was it packed. I'll have to check around and see if any of my co-workers still has a copy. If so I'll post it up here.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I found a way to get photoshop to export a list of keyboard commands, actually.

Edit > keyboard Shortcuts and then coose the Summarize option when you ahve the section you want (tools, menus, etc) and it exports to html. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm about to, I'll post a link to it.

[edit] Clicky!

Perhaps I should post this in the resources section.

[further edit] I think i'm going to need to break down and make brushes for the rest of this. i killed my mouse, it no longer does single clicks on the left button, when you press it it keeps pressing until you press it again. I suspect the same thing will happen to the new mouse too

<chant> tablet tablet tablet tablet </chant>
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 09-30-2009 at 07:22 AM.

My finished maps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast