Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test Dungeon with Torstans Tiles.

I took a play with maxboy's map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	17303

Doing a colourize, levels manip, then running the free "mezzoforce ice" filter on it (google for "mezzoforce ice plugin" for downloads as the original author site seems gone).

Fairly good ice for little effort, imoo!

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wow! That's really cool. I'll have a look at that filter.

I'll admit that it came out a lot better than I had expected.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is cool (no pun intended) - Mezzoforce also have Snow & Metal plugins. But I couldn't download them at work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sorry guys, 'Ice Tower' is a bit of a misnomer. It's a castle built of white stone in the Frozen North, so these tiles would only need a slight colour tweak, unfortunately there are only two ways of doing it - I could go RobA's way of recolouring a whole map after drawing, or recolour each tile before importing into Viewingdale - both have disadvantages.

I'm quite sure I'll use these tiles - particularly the generic stuff like lightsources, but maybe not just yet. I'm sure a good many maps will appear over time with these tiles in them, from many users.

Anyway, nuff from me, this ain't my thread.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    Anyway, nuff from me, this ain't my thread.
    Nah go for it. Treat this thread as finished maps about torstans tiles and suggestions for maps made with them more than my particular map. Mine was just a test map. If by some natter we can make them better then its all good stuff.

In terms of ice, I think post processing the map is better than getting a full second set of changed tile images.

A useful thing for anyone using the set for fantasy castle building, might be a means of creating thicker walls. Mine are ten feet thick and ten storeys high, for example. Rubble between two skins wouldn't rise that high, and the only other way I can think of is to lay up several walls in parallel.
    Not sure how many others would need it though.

Post-processing might be the way to go for different shades, cos there's the dark castle too.
    Last edited by icosahedron; 10-03-2009 at 01:41 PM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Blog Entries

I think that's a good call. You can have two walls 5 or 10ft apart but it would be good to have a V shape for arrow slits and windows which bridge two wall sections. Perhaps wall sections with crenelated tops. Most of a castle is in the set tho and with a very small extra few I think castles would be covered. I might try having a pop at doing some castle with them later and see whats easy and whats not so easy.

C'mon Maxboy, how did you make those walls circular? I'm just itching to know how it's done.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Its really Easy to do

just a lot of fiddly stuff, that's all done by visually guessing if you have warped it enough
    and placing the tiles together at the end is all based on how it looks to you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alcove Tut.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	17511  

Thanks Maxboy.

Edit>Transform>Warp. You don't say if that's Gimp you're using, but if not I'm sure Gimp will do something similar. I'll have a play with that, first chance I get.

Obviously they can't be scaled, cos the size of the stones would be wrong, so it'll mean drawing them out individually at different radii, but I only have to make one quarter circle at each radius, X and Y flips will take care of the rest. A bit of pi D / 4 and hey presto, circular towers.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast