Thread: Alliance/Union star map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's now two maps.

The first shows the stars as seen when looking down from galactic North, with the galaxy's center off to the right. The other shows the stars as seen when looking toward the galactic Center. i.e.it shows the stars of the first map as if you were looking at them from the left side of that map.

I've also added background stars so the maps don't look quite so empty. They were drawn using a database of stars closer than 25LY.

I was pleased to see that many of the nearby stars correspond to A/U station stars: a + was drawn in the center of most of the 5-pointed stars which indicate the positions of the Stations.

I think I understand why some of the Station stars don't have a plus mark. There are two causes:
    1. I had to make up imaginary closer distances for a few of them, because otherwise they'd be way outside the range of human spacecraft. e.g. Gehenna at ZET Riticuli: the real star is a double which is a long way away.
    2. A few of them simply aren't included in the "nearstars" database.

I think that it's now time to try to improve the presentation, since the data isn't going to change any more. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galactic_map_down_v2.png 
Views:	284 
Size:	525.8 KB 
ID:	17548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	galactic_map_tocenter_v2.png 
Views:	264 
Size:	508.8 KB 
ID:	17549  
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    I think that it's now time to try to improve the presentation, since the data isn't going to change any more. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions.
    How about a stereogram?

-Rob A>