Thread: Measuring positions on a map?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

töff,

If all one has is paper, then a ruler and transparent grid would seem to be appropriate. Once a map has been converted to a digital picture, however, measuring in pixels (as shown by various image display programs) is much more accurate.

My attempts yesterday to write a progrm to place the stars using their numeric coordinates failed. Close examination of the constraints suggest that at least one set of them is not geometrically possible -- it works in 2D but not 3D.

I'm reluctant to publish the original map, since it's copyright by someone else. However, here's a 2D screengrab showing my most recent 3D model. It's still 2D: I haven't modified the Z positions yet.

The polygons representing the stars are colored arbitrarily according to their political affiliation. They were placed as accurately as possible by using the map as a reference image behind them. I've colored the routes between the stars according to the distances between the stars they connect. Yellow = short, orange = medium, red = long.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starmap.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	17832  
    Selden