View Poll Results: !!! Please vote for 3 !!!

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ever-Isle Pre-War Trade network by ffxfiend

1 1.82%
  • Siete Torres by Immolate

37 67.27%
  • Empire of The Son by Ascension

29 52.73%
  • Gromet and Friends vs Caravan Raiders by Coyotemax

14 25.45%
  • Trade Routes of Takota Basin by Steel General

5 9.09%
  • Calgary, Post-Apocalypse by Roger

3 5.45%
  • The Isle of Eagles by Juggernaut1981

0 0%
  • Docklands by Gilgamec

3 5.45%
  • Market square in ancient China by mogul76

6 10.91%
  • A Merchantman's Tale by ravells

3 5.45%
  • Sector Trade Lanes by nolgroth

18 32.73%
  • Risky Business by shantedracule

2 3.64%
  • Sea Trade Guide Map by Blacklemon67

1 1.82%
  • Martian Milk Run by RobA

3 5.45%
  • Trade map of the Ynchong Empire by Sapiento

31 56.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: *** October Challenge VOTING - Trading ***

Blog Entries

My wife and I just spent the last hour looking at every map in detail and discussing what we like and didn't like about each one. It was an interesting process because looking at it through her non-cartographic eyes made me see them all again like it was the first time. Interestingly, we reached consensus fairly easily, without much disagreement.

Our first vote went to mogul76 with his Chinese market. We both loved the little details everywhere and the obvious meticulous, loving detail that went into crafting it. I didn't agree with all of the choices he made and we spotted some shadow problems (yes, I'm a shadow cop now), but they were minor and didn't detract from the overall enchantment of the map. The theme was strong in this one, and it got our vote. Well my vote. My wife doesn't have an account and she can't have one because she'll just log on once a month to vote for me and that's cheating .

Our second vote went to Steel General and his Black Hills of South Takota (okay they aren't black, but they look a bit like hills). We both really liked the velvety feel of the grass and trees and the dynamism of the animal icons. I wish I'd spent half the time criticizing SG's map that he spent on mine. He is a warrior when it comes to helping others and deserved my vote for that alone, but I didn't have to peddle my influence with my wife as we both agreed that the overall appeal was excellent.

Our third and final vote went to nolgroth's Parangael sector. I'm not a space map guy and I've never been a Traveler player, but the balance on this map was so strong between textual and visual information, between science and art, darkness and light, real and artificial. It just worked very well and we both believed it. The font was even perfect for the map. What IS that?

All of the maps had redeeming qualities. Ascension's is gorgeous, but at some point he left me behind on his color voyage. My wife, who is an amateur stained-glass artist and would kill to do some of the stuff Ascension has done is a fan of his too, but didn't like this map as well as she liked the last one and couldn't get past that. CoyoteMax's second in his series was as playfully delightful as the last. Jug's was very visually appealing, while RobA's we didn't really understand at all but both liked it.

Roger did a fine job of packing a lot of info into a pencil map and did more with words than a lot of people do with lines. Juggernaut's map was at once soothing and promising of excitement to come. A very treasure-mappy feel. ffxfiend did a great job, but needed more more more! More stuff, more size. Very pleasing style. Gilgamech's was visually engaging and looked like it was computer-generated by some kind of mapping software: very convincing. Ravell's was the first good application I've seen of Alfar's world builder software. I look forward to seeing more as it progresses now. Blacklemon's maps was surprisingly powerful in spite of or perhaps because of its simplicity. Shantedracule's space map had a very realistic computer display feel to it and tons of information that he put a lot of time and effort into.

I could easily have voted for a eight or ten maps and they all were worth entries. Every month the challenges get tougher.

Later I will rep everyone who participated. My rep stick isn't yet big enough that I've become afraid to use it, and nobody in the challenge was a slouch.

My apologies for anyone who slogged through all that looking for great wisdom or answers to life's questions. That's just how I roll. Now you know better .

Oh good Lord, I almost forgot Sapiento's map. It would look perfectly at home on a glossy pamphlet sold for $5 in front of a major theme park. That is high praise from me, living in theme park central as I do. It was perhaps the most professional "graphic art" looking piece in the contest. I think you have something marketable there.
    Last edited by Immolate; 10-26-2009 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    I'm going to study these for a bit before voting.
    Dittos. But I have my eye on some standouts.

This guild frikkin rawx.

At least I'm keeping good company with RobA down on Zero Votes...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    At least I'm keeping good company with RobA down on Zero Votes...
    Democracy sucks
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Adept

Immolate, the font I used is called Serpentine. Varieties of Bold, Medium and Light.

Blog Entries

Ok... man, this is harder than last month.

After thinking long and hard about it my votes are going to go to:

Immolate: His map is simply gorgeous and though I think he didn't quite get that last area up to the standards of the rest of the map, it's a minor negative in a map overflowing with positives.
    Sapiento: I love the colour and feel of this map. It reminds me of the old colour maps in the Lone Wolf books and I used to sit and look at those for ages. If there's one thing I don't like about it it's the symbols. I think they are too neat and symmetrical for the rest of the map. The whole map has a kind of cartoony vibe to it and I don't think they fit in.
    RobA: I'm not a massive fan of space or SF maps but I really liked the idea on this one. I do wonder if "Decent Rim" and "Decent Floor" is supposed to be "descent"?

It was really hard to choose three and aside from Immolate's map, which I never had any intention of not voting for, the other two choices were very fluid and were at times were totally different.

Anyway, there's my votes. Good luck to everyone who joined and I wish I could vote for you all.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

My votes went to

Ascension: Wonderful symbols and texture.
    Immolate: Simply a joy to look at this map.
    Nolgroth: Very good attempt on a SciFi map.

It was very hard to decide this time. The maps of Coyotemax and Shantedracule are great, too.

Guild Journeyer

It was hard to pick just three this time. I decided to pick based on Beauty, Usefulness, and Sci-Fi/Modern.

Ascension's map just really grabbed me with it's unique style. It's hard to read but the look is just amazing and unique.

I had to vote for mogul76's map just for sheer usability. I'm not running a fantasy or historical game at the moment, but if I were that would be a really usable battle map.

Finally I voted for nolgroth's system map. I wanted to pick a Sci-Fi or Modern map just because we don't get nearly enough of them around here (fantasy is far to over represented) and nolgroth's map struck me as a pretty useful map of a star system for a civilian/trade based game. It would make a great player handout for such a game.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    My votes went to

Ascension: Wonderful symbols and texture.
    Immolate: Simply a joy to look at this map.
    Nolgroth: Very good attempt on a SciFi map.

It was very hard to decide this time. The maps of Coyotemax and Shantedracule are great, too.
    Snap!

Those were exactly my choices for pretty much the same reasons too!

Well I'm there on consistency...
    Last Month: 1 vote (MINE)
    This Month: 0 Votes (I didn't back myself...)

Woohoo.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast