Thread: Google wave. Why ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Actually...

If you read the blog that's linked in that article it discusses that Wave can share any image, including maps, but currently has no means of placing or moving tokens on a map. However, "widgets" or mini appps are being created - many of them, as we speak, for such things as better dice apps and perhaps a grid/coordinate system for maps.

Its got a long way to go, but Google pockets are deep and they have many programmers. Does this mean, it will ever resemble a VT? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not in favor of this, but it might actually rival a VT eventually. Read the linked blog.

Also as it currently sits it is being used to replace/emulate PbP and Irc/Chat type gaming, not true VT apps. And as described in the article, this is how its currently be used in development, though the true goals may be something more like collaborative meetings or some other purpose, as beyond gaming it doesn't seem to have a purpose.

I also understand Google is a war with Microsoft, and Google wants to replace Microsoft. One of the initiatives of both companies is the concept of getting rid of all software, and using a subscription based service for all computer use from word processing to spreadsheets, everything, including possibly VT and other applications. Though I really don't like the idea, big companies want to control the user population, and what better way than to be all software for all people...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-29-2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations