Thread: Aronbor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Post Aronbor

Aronbor.

This map shows the kingdom of Aronbor, an important location in the story I am currently writing/procrastinating over. It is located in the west of southern Vaniya, the world I have been creating/mulling over for many years.
    Here is a little backstory...

The kingdom of Aronbor is in decline. The king, Beltime, is plagued with ill health. With the ending of his rule, court politics and machinations are rife.
    The Arons are at the forefront of the Vaniyan war against the Mandrai, a race of feline-like humanoids who inhabit the land to the north of Aronbor, beyond the Colden Wall. The Mandrai are not native to the continent of Vaniya, having arrived at the time of The Sundering, when The Heart of the World was split into seven pieces. At first an uneasy peace was held between the humans and this alien race from across the seas but eventually relations collapsed and war ensued - though the initial reason is not now remembered. The Mandrai are a feared and aggressive race. The Mandrai females are the Warriors, lithe and agile, they have incredible speed and use their claws as a deadly weapon. The Mandrai males are known as Dreamers, with an ability to enter a trance-like state that can alter the reality of their surroundings. The females have the ability to Dream but it is against their religion to do so, punishable by exile or even death. The Dreamers, although naturally larger and more muscular than their female counterparts, would be equally deadly fighters if their class system allowed them to engage in such abhored practices.
    Guarding Aronbor, and thus the rest of southern Vaniya from the Mandrai threat are The Grey Guard - the arse-end of the Aronbor military sent to patrol the Colden Wall from the ever-present threat of invasion. Made up mostly of convicted criminals and drafted peasants and run by spoiled-brat officers whose fathers paid for their commissions, they are ill-equipped to deal with the situation. Helped by a group of commissioned Arcanists from Maloglash, they have a series of warning signals that can supply a force of soldiers to any point on the wall within minutes of the alarm being raised.
    Mandrai are getting through the wall however(sometimes literally) and many sightings have been made throughout Aronbor of individual or groups of Mandrai. It isn't known what their plan is, where they are headed or what they intend to do when they get there. But most of Vaniya remains ignorant, or even apathetic of the situation.
    And the Blight rages on.

The map was created entirely in Photoshop CS.

The fonts used were:

JaneAusten - For the marginalia text.
    Handserif - For all the towns, forests, rivers etc.
    FFF Tusj - For the country and the sea labels.
    Dali - For the red X's scattered around the map.
    Ancestory SF - For the text on the cartouche.

All the fonts were downloaded from Dafont.com except the Ancestory one which I got from fonts101.com

Thanks to all those who offered C&C in the WIP thread which can be found here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aronbor_Final.jpg 
Views:	3850 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	26648

I know crap-all about copyrights so I'll just say this is under the Creative Commons thingymajig. If anyone can use it for personal reasons, that's fine. Making money from it, however, is a no-no.
    Last edited by RobA; 07-07-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Forgot to add font info. :S
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt