Thread: I'm trying to figure out what sort of mechanism might...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Okay, long list of wierd things that could happen...

Comets come into atmosphere and melt leaving water and tiny dust landing.
    Additional water will increase the oceans.
    Water takes lots of energy to heat (in chemistry terms) so more water = more energy to maintain temperature = planet cools.
    Enough water (e.g. comets landing to cause 800m sea level rise) would eventually accumulate into an ice age if the planet wasn't heated well enough.

So I'm guessing your society will probably still be stuck in the leftovers of an ice age. Atmospheric pressure is more regulated by temperature than things falling from space, but water from space will drop worldwide temperature if there is enough of it... and then change atmospheric pressure...

It's all rediculously interconnected. You want great answers, ask UN Climate Change what they know...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Water takes lots of energy to heat (in chemistry terms) so more water = more energy to maintain temperature = planet cools.
    Enough water (e.g. comets landing to cause 800m sea level rise) would eventually accumulate into an ice age
    I dunno about that. Sure, keep dumping ice on a planet, it'll cool ... but solar energy plus core-produced radioactive heat, I would think, would soon bring back equilibrium.

Plus, the energy of the ice meteors themselves, as they brake into the planet, would ADD to the total energy of the system.

This is not an effect I would worry about unless I thought it was a fun thing to include.

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    I dunno about that. Sure, keep dumping ice on a planet, it'll cool ... but solar energy plus core-produced radioactive heat, I would think, would soon bring back equilibrium.

Plus, the energy of the ice meteors themselves, as they brake into the planet, would ADD to the total energy of the system.

This is not an effect I would worry about unless I thought it was a fun thing to include.
    I'm just thinking of the specific heat capacity of water, compared to most other things, and its stupidly large. Water's specific heat is about 4kJ/kg... Iron is 0.4kJK/kg

It just takes a lot more energy to warm up water. So depending on how much you dump in there, how fast, etc, etc, etc you could cause a nice dip in the temperature. I doubt the energy of the asteroids would compensate for the heat capacity of the water.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

specific heat capacity of water, compared to most other things, and its stupidly large. Water's specific heat is about 4kJ/kg...takes a lot more energy to warm up water. So depending on how much you dump in there, how fast, etc, etc, etc you could cause a nice dip in the temperature. I doubt the energy of the asteroids would compensate for the heat capacity of the water.
    If the ice meteors are "burning up on reentry" to steam in the upper atmosphere, there ain't no reason to worry about this at all.

I smell a stratometeorological thesis here: the caloric limit of net energy gain per the mass of an ice asteroid.

It's all rediculously interconnected
    I'll sing that hymn with ya, brother!

You want great answers, ask UN Climate Change what they know...
    ... but not that one

Quote Originally Posted by töff View Post
    ... but not that one
    They probably know as well as anyone.