Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP - My first map

RobA > Thanks for the method of moving between Gimp & Inkscape, I was wanting to try but didn't know the best way to go about it.

Gandwarf> The icons were originally made by Ramah and posted elsewhere on this site. I did clean them up a bit, warped the tower a tad, painted them added some shadows, then blurred them up a bit but they are pretty close to his. I could draw my own but I'd rather not do it with my mouse. I hope to get some better input devices in the future.

The red lettering believe it or not is actually the Leather pattern in Gimp. I used the default drop shadow but I'm not married to it although I kind of like the way the floating words left the image of the painted map intact...at least that's how I saw it. Almost as if they are not really part of the picture. Then again, I have yet to put it over that forest there and I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. I'll try that glow effect next.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I like to export my maps as a jpg, then import that into Inkscape, do my labeling there, then export the SVG text out as a transparent PNG and back into Gimp (or just use open as layers with the SVG file.)
    I seem to be having issues making this happen...I have Gimp 2.6. From Inkscape the only export I see is as a bitmap. I'll keep trying but for now I have my labels in Inkscape and can't seem to get them back to Gimp.

I did get the .PNG file to open in Gimp but the colors on the labels were all toast. Do I just use Inkscape to make the fonts on the paths and then re-color them in Gimp? Only problem is the .PNG has no layers so I'm down to having to try and scrape the letters off the page to manipulate them
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-12-2009 at 11:17 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Well this is the PNG I exported out of Inkscape...unfortunately although it is 2 layers in Inkscape, after saving it and then trying to open it in Gimp it comes in as only a single layer. I suppose I could just make more layers and keep going but there is no going back to the various layers I had before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HK map.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	19416  

Jax> Will Illustrator allow you to "Save Visible"? If you can, then you just show each layer as visible, save them, then open them as new layers in GIMP.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Sorry I could have been more clear (I have explained my workflow a couple times in other threads and forget some people may not have read EVERY post here )

I make my entire map (or as much as I can) without labels, icons, etc in gimp.
    I then do a save as to a jpg.
    I import that jpg into inkscape, select the image, then size the canvas to fit the jpg. I lock the background layer (where the image is), and create new layers for things like city labels, rivers, titles, etc. I use layer visibility to reveal only the layer I want, and export it from inkscape as a png.
    In gimp I use Open as Layer to bring in that png for final compositing (drop shadows/glows, etc.)

If I want to change text, I flip to my inkscape file and modify it there then delete the existing layer and again us Open as Layer.

When I know I'll do this a lot (like in my recent woodcut map) I used a linked layer set of scripts for gimp I reference here.

If there is interest, I can make a quick tut on it.

-Rob A>

I like your mountains but I LOVE the waterline and water effects.. how'd you do that?

Thanks RobA I will try this again.

I think I was on the right track - I created a jpg, used it in inkscape, then kicked out a PNG and was able to open that in Gimp. Now I see that I can open my .xcf in Gimp and bring back the .png from Inkscape as a layer and use it with my original. <-- That's the part I was missing.

Well that and I didn't know to lock the layers in Inkscape, believe me I was getting ****ed about having to redo stuff because it kept flipping back to my background layer when i wasn't paying attention

a2area> Being a noob I will have to see if I can recreate that effect. I do know that I worked it over pretty good. I used a brush that either came with Gimp or I got from here called Pencil Sketch (1,2,3) and stomped tracks all over both dark and light and then blurred things. Most likely the ocean started as a fall out project going through one of RobA's tutorials. For some reason I never get exactly what folks intend from those things so I end up going through the forest swinging my machete manually. The upside is it's possible I will discover something new.

For anyone who cares, I will say that I use the Burn tool like a fiend to darken and lighten up areas. I used the burn tool on 'dodge' setting to lighten up around the coasts. I probably do things the hard way but so long as I get closer and closer to what I want to see I'm happy.

The other most used tool for me is 'smudge'. It's almost like sculpting you just keep pushing the paint around. I love it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The water-color look of this is awesome, man. I love the subtle cross-hatching look on the grassy areas, and your beaches look fantastic. (Why does it always sound so suggestive to compliment someone's geography? ((See, even that sounded wrong.))?)

The only thing that looks a bit off to me is the forests. There is some sharp pixellation going on there that makes those areas stand out too much from the rest of the map; kind of a jarring effect.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    If there is interest, I can make a quick tut on it.
    I, for one, would love to see a tutorial covering labeling a map with GIMP/Inkscape.

Thanks for the nice comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The only thing that looks a bit off to me is the forests. There is some sharp pixellation going on there that makes those areas stand out too much from the rest of the map; kind of a jarring effect.
    I know what you mean about the forest areas. It kind of bothers me as well but for the moment I haven't really come up with a solution. I'm still trying to get my mountains down and make sure I can duplicate the ocean look again.

Eventually I will start tweaking on the forests but tend to agree it is a little off from the rest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast