Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Automatic Forester

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

been following this with interest, but a question arises to my mind...

Is this usable in Gimp?

I do not recall if that was asked or stated already or not.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    been following this with interest, but a question arises to my mind...

Is this usable in Gimp?

I do not recall if that was asked or stated already or not.
    I had already pointed this out but I made a gimp plugin with similar capabilities using gimp image hose brushes and a density map: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ap-GIMP-Script

But to answer your question more specifically, you should just be able to take the results of this program and import them into gimp as a layer.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm wondering if there isn't a way to use building shapes instead of trees...make it a city generator as well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Lorash: Aye, as RobA said, it just saves it as a .png image with the alpha intact. So any graphics editing program that can load a .png (which I guess is pretty much all of them) can use and edit the forest outputted.

Ascension: Well I guess you could change the tree brushes for buildings and get a kind of random cityright now, as long as you lower the density to get rid of the overlaps. It wouldn't look very good though I should imagine. Just a load of building brushes placed randomly on an alpha image with no thought for roads or orientation.
    I know Fluesopp has plans to add the capability to do mountains and hills with the program but I'm not sure he had cities in mind.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I saw the alpha mask thing and thought if you make your alpha the inverse of roads, ie city blocks, then you'd have little sections.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Well yeah, you could make streets and roads in the alpha but the actual placement of houses would be much the same as the tests we were doing the other month to get instant cities, i.e. they wouldn't be rotated to follow any street angles etc. If you made an alpha with lots of roads that ran square to the x and y axis then it might be able to come up with something half decent.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

So the person who created this sent me directions, but I don't understand them and I can't seem to get this to work. Would anyone be willing to send me screen shots of how to make this work or chat with me via hotmail so that I can put my forest on my map?

Well I thought I posted something saying how much I liked this tool but it apparently went down the rabbit hole. I really like this tool.

.TM7
    Currently using Photoshop CS3, GIMP, MapTool, and planning to try Inkscape, Illustrator and Wilbur "real soon now."
    Running and playing as much 4e as I can.
    All work I post here and refer to as "mine" can be used under this Creative Commons license

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wow - thats great work guys, can't wait to test it out ... consider yourself repped
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

It's been now three weeks that I use my new PC with Windows 7. Today I tried to use the treemaker, but for some reason the system can't find the program to use the treething.jar file. Can someone give me a hint which program I have to download to make this work again?

When I start the Treething.jar file I get this error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError. It misses something, but I don't have a clue what.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 05-16-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast