Thread: Zion Canyon Commission map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Zion Canyon Commission map

Talk about one of the toughest mapping terrains I've ever had to work with, I am beginning my first of seven maps for Dog House Rulez, Sidewinder - Recoiled, old west RPG - a regional map of the Zion Canyon area in south central Utah.

Zion canyon is a fabulous canyon varying from a half mile wide to just a few feet wide and 800 feet to 2500 feet deep surrounded by sandstone mountains, mesas, some of them with canyons, slot canyons, box canyons cut into them, yet hundreds of feet over the main larger canyon itself.

This is the hand-drawn portion of the mountains and canyon cliffs only. I have yet to place the north fork, west fork and south fork of the Virgin River, place bevels and shadows for the various land forms, both conifer and cottonwood trees groves and much more. Of the seven maps, this is the most complex.

This map will take me most of this week to create, the other six should be done in the next week - I've got a January 31st deadline to meet.

The other six will be closer in sections of the canyon area, plus encounter scale maps of hidden canyons, caves and slot canyons. At least one of the canyons and caves is completely fictional though matches the terrain, and for all intents and purposes could be a hidden actual place, by looks of it. At least the towns of Springdale and Grafton (ghost town) need to be created as well.

I've got the rough draft of the adventure as well, which describes the encounter scale areas I need to create, but it looks like a fun adventure!

This map, to the best of my ability matches actual terrain, however. I used a Google topographical map for reference in the creation of it.

Complex, yet still fun. I'll keep posting as I get updates to this thing.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zion-mountain-canyon-outlines.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	898.2 KB 
ID:	20112  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations