Thread: Trying out a woodcut effect

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's the process I used to create this - and remember it's not finished yet! Still need to adjust some of the selection values...

Create a pattern (1px w, 4px h) consisting of 1 black pixel at the top.
    New document, 500x500 px. Fill the document with the 1x4 pattern and apply a 30% ripple to
    it.
    Size 12, 50% hard eraser. Spacing 90%. Size, Angle and Roundness Jitters at 100%,
    minimum roundness 1%, all controls off. 100% scatter across both axes, count 10, count jitter
    100%, all controls off. Opacity and Flow Jitters 100%, control off.
    Go over the full document with the eraser. Change canvas size to 460x460 px. Define a new
    pattern.
    Create a new layer above and a new layer below your landmass. Render clouds on the layer
    below, and fill the layer above with the new woodcut pattern.
    Select your landmass, smooth by 8. Go to woodcut layer, delete. De-select and re-select
    your landmass, inverse, contract by 10, smooth by 8, feather 12. Woodcut layer, delete.
    Duplicate woodcut layer, merge down.
    De-select and re-select the landmass. Expand by 6, smooth by 8, feather 12. Cloud layer,
    delete.
    Difference clouds x 5. Distort->Glass, distortion 5, smoothness 5, frosted. Replace colour
    black with 50% grey, fuzziness 100.
    Select colour range 75% grey, fuzziness 125. Woodcut layer, delete x 2.

This time around, a lot of my woodcut was looking kinda straight at the end, so I added another 30% ripple onto at the end of the process.
    Last edited by moutarde; 01-19-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: updated some selection values