Thread: My naming style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

just a little ethmological food for thought:
    The human is a very lazy being. This counts especially on the way of speaking. To give an example:
    You mentioned the Name Muirharran
    Then you should organize it like this:
    Muirharran is the youngest version, because its the most complicated name.
    While the time advances, the name is changed.
    I would say the first point of changing would be "Muir".It would probably be changed into just "Mur". The next step would be "rh". This is in my eyes the most complicated after "Muir", so i would say
    it would be changed to Murarran. When you speak it you will recognize that the rarra is not very confortable. So it would end up at "Murarn" maybe later just Muran or Murar.
    The same could be used on "Varresholt", i would end up at "Varsolt".
    This is just a little tipp for city names, wich are used several times in a country, but in different time periods.

Repetitive names do seem to exist, looking at Germany's Bergs and other such things. But as a note, I only add the suffixes to castles and seas and other things which have titles to distinguish them from villages. Villages are named after people or things, so I don't add a suffix, and thus don't run into the problem of repetitiveness.

The reason it remains Varresholt and Muirharran is because to the people who live there, holt and harran are part of their modern language. They aren't things like borough or shire, which aren't used in everyday conversation in English these days. So while to us it sounds like Muiran, to them its still a combination of two words which they know the meaning of.

While traders and locals may slur it, its still written in its proper form, just like how we still write it Toronto, even though everyone says Toronno.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Quote Originally Posted by LS-Jebus View Post
    While traders and locals may slur it, its still written in its proper form, just like how we still write it Toronto, even though everyone says Toronno.
    Hah! As an ex-local, I know it is pronounced as two syllables - "Trah-no" (accent on the first)

-Rob A>

Guild Apprentice

@LS-Jebus
    it was not a sort of critizism at your way of finding names. It was just a tipp for longer time periods. In the ethmological perspective "Toronto" is a young name. That the people start to speak it in a different way is a serious sign for a name change in the future. But maybe not in our lives, and not in the live of or children or their children. It is a very long period.
    When you say that harran is part of the modern language, than it is, in a ethmological perspective, young as well. And Words that are used often in every day live change their shape even faster.
    But thats really not necessary in the type of maps you want to create, you only need it for creating a continent with a(known) history of thousands of years.