Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ard'Fhallen

Guild Apprentice rafaelrzacharias's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    There ya go. If you were to leave it like this I'd say good job but I'd be tempted to go a lil bit lighter (just my opinion).
    hahaah.. I know that temptation Ascension, but I pushed a bit lighter when I first modified the mountains and it didint work out very well, I left that way but increased the shadows/highlights effect and lower a bit the contrast and it worked out that way you see up there! I guess any more lighter would disgrace my mountains.. Anyway, just my opinion, though..

Btw, I'm starting the labbeling, following the simpler-Tolkien-esque style of black & white map and red letters.. in this peculiar case, I'm tempted to use Unzialish font letter, any other suggestions?
    I thought labbeling in that "Hobbiton" font style or whatever its name is, but it would start to look tooooooo much similar, know what I mean? I just want to look closer to Tolkien's style, not to imitate it. Therefore, I'll apply another layer on the back of the map, using multiply or linear burn effect on the layer to make an old parchment! ^^
    Where can I find this damn parchments? I need one in high-res, thats a headache! Anyone out there knows how to do it quickly and simple? Or probably some tutorial would do fine! ^^

Tomorow I'll be uploading again to the scene.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Coyotemax has a bunch of hand-made parchmenty grungy-paper things in the Mapping Elements section.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Rivers look good but the there are only three lakes that have outflows (one outflows into another lake with no outflow), the other nine must be endorheic but that's a lot of those...I would expect one or two at most, shrug, your map, though.
    I've posted this link before but here is a map of all such basins: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...n_drainage.png
    (grey areas, not the grey lines) to get an idea of the commonness of these.

-Rob A>

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

For the parchment textures, ascension is correct - you can go through the resources forum here, there's a lot of textures available and tutorials on how to make them.

For easy reference I'll toss out the link to my own (since they directly got mentioned). Most of them are pretty high resolution (5000x6000 pixels is not uncommon).
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...textures/page5

earlier in the thread there's a few that are uploaded directly if you wanted to jsut snag one and have done with it, near the bottom of page 5 are links to the deviant art site where I have entire packs of textures put together if you want more than what's in the thread itself.

And your map is coming along nicely, I really like what you're doing here! I think of myself as having been inspired by tolkien but my maps rarely come out looking this close.
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 02-16-2010 at 12:53 PM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Looks great so far rafaelrzacharias. Really like the forests and mountains.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I think you should crop out a section and post that piece at fullsize to show off the full glory of it

Loks darnfine at this scale though!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

A really nice looking map!

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Guild Apprentice rafaelrzacharias's Avatar

It's been a while since I posted my last WIP picture here, finally I've managed to finish it, in its two versions, previously mentioned.
    Since here is only a WIP threat I will post the maps in the finished maps section this afternoon. This time in full resolution as requested by many of you.
    Thx to all the efforts and help in this project people! I really appreciated you opinions and criticisms, it help me inprove my skill over the time. I hope you enjoy the map as much as I enjoyed to make it! ^^

Don't forget to check the finished maps section this afternoon! Enjoy my work and please, rate!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123