I may have posted something like a tutorial in one of my challenge threads, I believe.

Basically, I do this every week - I did it for this months's challenge and I'm doing that today in fact.

Place your drawing/photo/whatever you are scanning onto the scanner bed. Use the paper's straight edge and place it against the plastic top "window" around the scanning glass - use the paper's edge helps keep the original straight. Scan the area needed, then keeping the edge against the lip, slide the drawing left or right, make sure to have at least a half inch overlap on what you already scanned, then scan again. Continue this process untill one side of the piece is scanned. If you have to rotate and do the other edge/side the same way. If you need to scan the middle of a drawing - its much tougher. If the original is just a copy or other kind of throw away original, I fold the piece to create a straight edge and do the process described above. If working from an original you can't damage - do whatever you can think of to keep a consistent straight edge to work with...

Once all scanned - in Photoshop or whatever you are using, create a new blank image the size (or just a bit bigger than the final size you need (make sure its the same resolution as the scans. Open your scanned files and cut an dpaste them into place. Even with all the attempts to keep it straight there's still a chance for somethign crooked, then you are forced to use the rotate function to get what you need... Got it?

GP