Thread: I am mapped out!

Default I am mapped out!

So not so recently I decided to finally start a massive challenge I had always dreamed of, to create an entire world for a future writing project. Now I was aware that I am not there yet on the writing part, but I am so there on the creative part! Maps have always been key for me in fantasy fiction, well maps in general have always been something I loved drawing since the age of 5-6. So naturally it started off with a map, then it grew and grew and now it is a freaking planet. Maps have been revised over and over the mythology and history (so far) of the world as well. Now with 6 continents 2 major archipelagos and a planets slightly larger than earth I am stuck, I am essentially all mapped out. Random coast lines in Photoshop or else where is not my cup of tea, while I do draw realistic continents they must have an aesthetic appeal and they need to look good on the big map, things needs to be in harmony. So right now I am missing a Europe sized continent on the eastern end of my map. So I come here regularly for inspiration, but nothing yet.

Any tips and tricks?

A while back there was a reference to using real world maps as inspiration..... just change things up:

- Use a small island outline as a continent
    - Use and area with lakes and flip lakes and land
    - Rotate and flip land masses
    - Take a few samples and overlap them to get a larger land mass

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Just as support for RobA's first suggestion I offer this little something that I did up using a tut a while back. Try to think of what you can do with it and then try for where it is. A hint is that it is in the southern hemisphere.

The real world is filled with soooo much inspiration it boggles the mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Falland.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	323.3 KB 
ID:	23683  
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's some interesting Falking Land there
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

How about you show us what you have so far? First, i am always interested in maps and worlds, and second, it might spark someones creativity and you get what you are looking for
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the tips guys. As for showing the work, I am not quite there yet, it is really the shell of a world so far, only 1 continent is finished so far, another was totally revised and enlarged, I have a pretty good picture in my head of where it all will go. The finished map is entirely hand drawn and written btw and so far I do not see myself going over to a total digital drawing. I had to take a crash course in Photo shop because I very soon realized that I needed to have everything in an atlas type format so I knew the relative position of everything. Of course at that point I began to realize that I had to be careful now where I placed things because of climate zones and take those things into consideration with what I had had in mind from earlier. So I took picture of my maps with my iPhone and then drew them in photoshop, started experimenting with custom brushes (mountains) and rivers etc. Still however I think I will stick with hand drawn maps for my own sake and will probably eventually put them up here. Right now they are in such a state that they are solely for my sanities sake over creating the world.

I have tried using real world islands, mainly been looking at Indonesia and Phillipines, but I had not looked into lakes, so thanks for that one! Quickly, to google earth!