Thread: Roleplayer with Cartographic inspirations ;)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

We most definitely have the coolest town names, here in Europe, and especially Denmark. Consider the fact that I live in a town called Ølby, which literally translates as Beertown, and yes, I mean that seriously! How cool is that?

One time, on the train home from college, I was bored and decided to translate all the names of the towns the train made a stop in. Some of them aren't directly translatable, but there are some like Solrød Strand which is "Sunred Beach" and Ishøj, which is "Icehill", Friheden, which is "The Freedom" and Svanemøllen which is "The Swan Mill". Another town is called Sjælør, which is probably an old Danish name, but could translate as something like "Souldizzy".

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    decided to translate all the names of the towns the train made a stop in.
    I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada and noticed the train stops were alphabetical. I found out later this was the grand Trunk Pacific Railway line. The stops were labeled alphabetically, and the towns that developed at the stops usually ended up with a name that started with that letter! From the wikipedia article the towns were (east to west):

Manitoba: Alpha, Bloom, Cave, Deer, Exira, Firdale, Gregg, Harte, Ingelow, Justice, Knox, Levine, Myra, Norman, Oakner, Pope, Quadra, Rea, (no s), Uno, Treat (wrong order?), Victor
    Saskatchewan: Welby, (no x), Yarbo, Zeneta, Atwater, Bangor, Cana, (no d), Elroy, Fenwood, Goodeve, Hubbard, Ituna, Jasmin, Kelliher, Leross (where my grandma lived), Lestock, Mosten, (no n-o), Punnichy, Quinton, Raymore, Semans, Tate, Undora, Venn, Watrous, Xena, Young, Zelma, Allan, Bradwell, Clavet, Duro, Earl, Farley, Grandora, Hawoods, Ivana, Juniata, Kinley, Leney, Mead, Neola, Oban, Palo, (no Q), Reford, Scott, Tako, Unity, Vera, Winter, (no X), Yonker, Zumbro, Artland
    Manitoba: Butze, Chauvin, Dunn, Edgerton, Greenshields, Wainwright (???), Fabyan (out of order), Hawkins, Irma, Jarrow, Kinsella, (no L), Meighen, Nestor,(no O), Poe, (no Q), Ryley, Shonts, Tofield, Uncas,(no v-z), Ardrossan, Bremner, Clover Bar, (no d), Edmonton, Fallis, Gainford, Hargwen, Imrie, Junkins, Keston, Leaman, Mackay, Niton, Otley, Peers,(no q), Rosevear, (no s), Thornton, (no u-v), Wolf Creek, (no x),Yates, (no z), Ansell, Bickerdike, (no c) Dalehurst, Entrance, Fitzhugh (end of line)

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*lol*... thats funny and interesting - doesn't leave much place for new stations though ... but we have a town now... sorry, gotta wait till we start a new line, and you better name you town something beginning with R
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise