Thread: Photoshop jiggle alternative

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If you look at the Jiggle and Ocean Ripple effects they are both just displacement effects. Jiggle has lots of octaves of noise, while ocean ripple looks to have just one or three to give it that hummocky look.

The images below are much closer to the effect of the jiggle filter. It's about using a smaller image map with greater dynamic range, I think. The swirly bits are an artifact of the difference clouds effect; using a more raw fBm as might come from Wilbur will most likely get harsher lines.

The tiliing may be a distraction. The middle row was a 200x200 displacement map. It looks like the important part may be getting the noise at a high enough frequency and dynamic range (get the bumps smaller and with greater blacks and whites).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	displacement-map-2.gif 
Views:	1025 
Size:	133.8 KB 
ID:	24512  

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    If you look at the Jiggle and Ocean Ripple effects they are both just displacement effects. Jiggle has lots of octaves of noise, while ocean ripple looks to have just one or three to give it that hummocky look.

The images below are much closer to the effect of the jiggle filter. It's about using a smaller image map with greater dynamic range, I think. The swirly bits are an artifact of the difference clouds effect; using a more raw fBm as might come from Wilbur will most likely get harsher lines.

The tiliing may be a distraction. The middle row was a 200x200 displacement map. It looks like the important part may be getting the noise at a high enough frequency and dynamic range (get the bumps smaller and with greater blacks and whites).
    Good idea - Rather than scaling down noise I figured I try it by enlarging correlate RGB pixel noise:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	24515

Looking quite close to ocean ripple

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Good idea - Rather than scaling down noise I figured I try it by enlarging correlate RGB pixel noise:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	367 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	24515

Looking quite close to ocean ripple

-Rob A>

Just saw this... is there an existing plug-in that does this, and if not, could you throw one together when you get some time.... this is quite interesting.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Just saw this... is there an existing plug-in that does this, and if not, could you throw one together when you get some time.... this is quite interesting.
    Sorry yeah- http://registry.gimp.org/node/24597

-Rob A>

Thanks, great suggestions.
    waldronate, that's starting to look a little closer to Jiggle.
    It occurs to me I should explain what I'm hoping to use it for. I'm not worried about coastlines, though all of these techniques would work well for them. I'm thinking more along the lines of breaking up forest or other regional textures so they blend together better. I'm angling for a map style somewhere between a "typical" map-like representation and something closer to aerial imagery. So clean or simply faded/blurred edges don't really work.
    One of the tutorials I read made use of this technique quite effectively. Though, of course I can't remember which one at the moment.
    I've used difference clouds in some cases, as well as ocean ripple, sometimes even working it by hand (especially with forests). For the most part it has worked out okay, but some situations I just really wish I had a 64-bit Jiggle.