Great advice Jalyha,

I've had nothing but good experiences with commissions on this forum. Most of time I'm at the upper end of the cost spectrum so generally speaking the clients I end up working for were never looking for the cheapest deal anyway, so that is probably the reason I have never had any trouble with payment. It might seem counter-intuitive but in many trades its a pattern where those going for the 'value/cheap' customers have much more trouble getting the money.

That said, I would always be very clear and very formal about EXACTLY what you are offering for EXACTLY what product at the end. It is crucial to get all this out on one email, clearly laid out, and not possible to misinterpret, from the outset. This is the same in any business. Important things to have clearly defined from the outset is: deliverables - date and method of delivery (in my case it is usually dropbox for digital files), format type/resolution/number of pixels, etc; money from client in currency/date of payment(s)/method (ie usually paypal for me); and then copyright/reproduction agreement; number of revisions you will make.

It is amazing how quickly everyone forgets the details of this initial agreements, so if they are scattered through fifteen emails its impossible to ever really keep it clear in your head; so after you agree in principle with the client all the details it is a great idea to write it all out in bullet-points and email it to the client and call the email 'contract agreement' or something like that - also you need an email back from the client to say that she agrees with your proposal and instructing you to go ahead - this email (their reply) is the legally enforceable written document (in your own country only in practice) - not your email with the details!