Because I did not take the time to make them into brushes you will have to add the .png as a layer, set it to multiply and cut each building into a new layer... or just select and move as needed... then delete out any unused buildings.

For coloring the easiest way is to make a new layer under the building layer and paint with the color you like...

For the color version I did the layer order and what I did... not really a tutorial but a quick insight.

1. Buildings - Set to Multiply
  2. Shadows - Gray color brushed with my mouse set to Multiply (this is the shadow on top of one half of the building)
  3. Color - I select the building shapes by a Ctrl click on the building layer (in Photoshop) and filling this layer with a brown color - Set to normal. I also add some noise to this layer after I fill it... this helps the fill color to not be so flat and "painted".
  4. Drop-shadow - Same as color layer but filled with black and blurred. - Set to normal

I do a lot of "inking" or coloring in Photoshop and setting a layer to multiply and paining on top or under a line drawing is you new best friend. the color layer goes over most line drawings but since my building layer is also set to multiply I stuck it under this time...

I hope this helps... I will try and do a tutorial on this building style and some coloring and finishing tips because of the interest.

Sorry about not tailoring this for GIMP but... I don't use it and after playing with it, I am not going to... mostly because I already know how to use Photoshop and the interface and tools in GIMP are just different enough to make it not worth it for me. But if you already know GIMP the terms I use should work in GIMP with some looking around.

-RPGMapMaker