Thread: How can anybody ask for an unpaid map?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very sensible, Sigurd.... I agree totally. Having a background in graphic design, whose talents are often notoriously taken advantage of (free spec-ads, ideas, campaigns etc), probably made me sensitive to the issue. The fact that graphic designers bow to this expectation continues to devalue the demand... perhaps it is not quite the same thing (apples-to-oranges?). Still the idea did happen to conjure up a slight feeling of insult in me.. for some reason just today-too much coffee?

Hobby map-making is not the same as graphic design, but it is undeniably an artform... and it is nice to have a little challenge to keep improving your skills. AND, i really do think it's a refreshing rarity to be able to get something of quality for free... but on the flip-side.. it almost hurts to think that some of these things go for free when the creator may actually need money themselves. I just hope people actually realize what talent and effort can go into these maps and what a gift they are getting. That's all.

It isn't the "doing" that I wonder about.. it's more the Asking and receiving and how that actually impacts commissions, if at all. It's obviously up to you to accept the request or not so I don't want to make too much of this "argument", I'm just sayin'. I'm not even saying I wouldn't do one (0: if the timing and request were right.

Case in point.. i had to fish around here to figure out what to charge for some commissions i just picked up.. and let me say.. woah.. very low indeed considering the potential effort.. but it's $. I guess it's all about balancing the effort with the pay-off.. which like anything is partially experience.. but many often get paid for that regardless.
    Last edited by a2area; 04-26-2010 at 05:24 PM.