Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Novice

I want to thank RobA for the tutorial, it has been a big help learning Gimp and the process of utilizing layers and masks and i look forward to learning even more. Here is a map I made using what I have learned so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Umthaeul.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	16409  

Hey that's looking pretty good! The mountains are a bit 'soft' though. I think RobA added to his tutorial to make the mountains more pleasing...worth checking out. Or check out the link in my sig on dealing with 'blobby' mountains. Cheers

Guild Novice

Thank you. Yes, Im not totally satisfied with the mountains or a few other aspects of this version of the map, but, even though it was a test of my patience, I learned a heck of alot and - in the end - its rewarding and fun!
    I deleted a few of the mountain bumpmap copies, they looked sharper before but the shadows were far too steep looking, so it at least looks better than it did. same thing with the forests, their outline was far too crisp and didnt blend well until I went back and removed a bumpmap or two. Ill keep posting any skill progression I make and hopefully I will someday soon be able to help newcomers around this fantastic site!

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4335 this is RobA's mountain tutorial, it really improves the mountains quite a bit... give it a shot...

@RobA do you have the ability to edit posts as old as the first posts in this tut? If so it might be worth adding a link to your mountain tut to that section of this one... It's really good, goes well with the rest of it... and unlike this one, seems to get lost in the sea of posts sometimes...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4335 this is RobA's mountain tutorial, it really improves the mountains quite a bit... give it a shot...

@RobA do you have the ability to edit posts as old as the first posts in this tut? If so it might be worth adding a link to your mountain tut to that section of this one... It's really good, goes well with the rest of it... and unlike this one, seems to get lost in the sea of posts sometimes...
    THanks for the suggestion. I went back and added that link to Post 11: Let there be Mountains!

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Hi RobA, another question.
    On a map im currently working on, im attempting to make a huge crater for a pit of evil/death/darkness. How do i make carters in GIMP? Or is this too advanced for my noob mind??

The key to representing anything on this type of map is in getting a good height field. I'd suggest a gradient with a profile like:

Code:
      _
     / \      _
        \___/
    And create a radial gradient with it use a layer of noise as a displacement map source and displace using the radial option. Then add a bit 'o noise on top.

Bump map that and colour it in. Not near a computer so I can't whip up a sample. May be someone can based on my sketchy instructions.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The key to representing anything on this type of map is in getting a good height field. I'd suggest .......stuff WAYYYY over my head.

-Rob A>
    Huh? I think I need to see a visual to understand the application of that morphed hex type thingy.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Basically... what I think he's demonstrating is that if you're going to create a bumpmap from a grayscale heightmap to represent a crater, with 50% gray representing ground level, black representing the lowest point and white representing the highest point, you'd basically take a radial gradient... starting from about gray in the middle point, radiate outward slowly to black then ramp back up to white, then ramp back down to gray.

Then he's suggesting throwing some noise into that to break it up a little and make it look natural.*

Finally... bumpmap that using the same mechanism that he uses for mountains, etc. in this tutorial.

*Note: using the displace feature to map the noise to the radial gradient is a little more sophisticated than "throwing some noise on it", and will probably produce better results, but not near GIMP at the moment to experiment with it...
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast