Thread: December Entry: Old School

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post The Backstory...

I'm attaching a bit of backstory for the challenge. Came up with it last night and typed it this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Rock at Morgus Cray.pdf  

Map Wip #2

Attached is the overview map with contour lines added. Also changed the depth lines a bit and added the outline of the lighthouse structure.

I'm now at 1hr 9min 30sec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pirate 1 - 2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	1927  

Map Wip #3

Here is my latest update. This is a blown-up map of the area where the cavern will be and immediate surroundings. The scale here is 10ft per square. All cave maps will be in this scale. This also shows the depth shading that I will use for the water.

To get to this point took much longer than expected--probably because I still haven't learned GIMP that well, and I'm jumping back and forth between GIMP and Paint as necessary to do what I need to.

I'm at 2hr 38min. Starting to get nervous about the time limit. . .

Name:	pirate 3 - level 1 - 2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	1936  

Post Wip #4

Here's the first level of my cave complex. It, again, has taken much longer than expected. It would have been impossible to accomplish this without my WACOM tablet and without the use of objects that I had made in the past for another project (the rope bridges).

I'm now at 3hr 18min. Running out of time...

I think that I'm going to have to scale back from my original vision. There is no way to accomplish what I had originally planned.

Name:	pirate 3 - level 1 - 3.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	1945  

Map I Think This is It

As promised, a set of black-and-white, "old-school" DnD maps. This was a great challenge--as evidenced by the number of participants.

This is pretty much my final submission.

As I am at 3hr 57min, I don't think anything else will happen.

I have to say that this has been a humbling experience. As is my fashion, my original vision for this project was COMPLETELY unrealistic for the time constraints. There is so much more that I want to do just with the maps presented here--let alone the two or three more maps that I had originally planned.

To all of you who told me to try out the GIMP--thank you. This would have easily taken 10hrs+ if I was doing it with Paint alone. [I was literally clicking, drawing, and typing as fast as I could for the final 40 minutes as it was.] GIMP allowed me to accomplish what is here.

Maybe sometime in the coming weeks, I'll finish these maps to match my vision--then again, just as possibly not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Rock at Morgus Cray.pdf   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Rock - Overview.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	1955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Rock - Narrow Overview.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	1956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Rock - Sea Level.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	1957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Rock - Upper Caves.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	1958