Thread: A Blank Globe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkeeper View Post
    Yeah but now I would have to find a ball that works well.
    The last time I saw a blank globe for sale it was more expensive than a pre-printed one ($90, I think it was). I figured it was due to low demand and therefore, low sales volume.

You can often get used globes at thrift stores and the like for $5-$20, often with a stand. A few coats of flat paint gives you a nice blank globe. The surfaces can be a bit iffy to start so using a coat or two of papier-mache can make a big difference when you're setting out to draw. Sanding and a paint layer are important, as it turns out.

If you're into crafts, you can start with a thrift-store globe, split it, spray the insides with a nice waterproof release and use it as a form to make your own. It's a pain to do, though, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a local Wal-Mart or similar engine of destruction they often carry 8" styrofoam balls for around $8 which can be converted to a workable writing surface by the addition of some papier-mache (two layers of newsprint, one layer of newsprint+plaster - the plaster can give you built-in mountains until you sand it!).

You can also start with a dodecahedron (20-sided die) made out of whatever material you'd like. See http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/icos.jpg for an image that might be useful as a starting point.
    Last edited by waldronate; 05-30-2008 at 12:33 AM.