Thread: Silembria

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm starting to agree with Sigurd aswell the "middle" river segment has for the better part become a pain when I started to mark the map with communities and so forth.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Quote Originally Posted by Kurvstol View Post
    I'm starting to agree with Sigurd aswell

AH wonderful, that makes 2! Only 6,704,845,724 to go for world accord.

Sigurd

Hi!

Nice map composition, over-all. As pointed out, the cross connected rivers are so unlikely, there is less than a handful of such cases in the real world. If, however, it is some form of man-made connection/canal, then keep it.

Also, were the rivers in Inkscape? I would be nice if they tapered, and got wider as they progressed. I can give some suggestion on how to accomplish that if so.

-Rob A>

The river was supposed to be natural in my original thought, so it is now gone
    I'm uploading the revised map (with some additions as roads and communities)

With that said the map is finished on my part

Still, I would really like to hear your suggestions on the river-tapering in Inkscape RobA, since the map is the start of a D&D-campagin I intend to create and Silembria will have neighboring realms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upload2.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	4557  

That is a very nice looking map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

thank u NeonKnight

The river was supposed to be natural in my original thought, so it is now gone
    I'm uploading the revised map (with some additions as roads and communities)

With that said the map is finished on my part

Still, I would really like to hear your suggestions on the river-tapering in Inkscape RobA, since the map is the start of a D&D-campagin I intend to create and Silembria will have neighboring realms

Very nice Kurvstol! I have a couple comments.

* In the forests on the left (mainly) there is a section at the top that is very fuzzy and then in the middle gets more sharp lines as it goes down. Was this intended? If not, you may want to try to make all the forests bits more uniform. From what I see, that area seems to indicate deeper forests due to the number of lines compared to there sections of forests on the map, so you may indeed be trying something specific there.

* The two rivers on the right have a hard line where the river color meets the ocean, while the one on the left blends into the underlying white very nicely and makes it looks like the river is carved into the land mass. I know alot of this is due to the underlying parchment background, so you may want to try to smudge the area around the river mouths carefully. or erase some of the background layer around the mouths.

* If you feel like spending the time, you may want to try using the smudge tool on the mountains a bit. The ones at the top have a nice bland to them and the lines get sharper the closer you get to the bottom. Also, some of your larger mountains might be made better with a few very thin white lines carefully blended (again, using the smudge tool) into the shadow sides) Now, this may be what you are after, and if so, ignore this. Heck, ignore the whole post if you want since this is just an opinion.

With that said, for me, the river mouths is the only thing I would really suggest changing if nothing else.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments Joe

I agree on the forest and the river-issue. Unfortunately I've been somewhat sloppy regarding saving the map layers so it will be to much tideous work to fix this

The last tip/comment will most likely be tested and integrated in my future maps

Thanks for the comments Joe

I agree on the forest and the river-issue. Unfortunately I've been somewhat sloppy regarding saving the map layers so it will be to much tideous work to fix this
    *sigh* I know how you feel. In many of my "play maps" I have been pretty darn loose with layer management and then got screwed when I wanted to tweak something later. Thanks a ton goes to RobA who built a quick script for GIMP that will duplicate a layer, make the original invisible, and move the old layer to the bottom. That way, I have a quick way to get back to the "source" layer in case I do stupid stuff.

The last tip/comment will most likely be tested and integrated in my future maps
    Umm,, which comment was that?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is a quick how-to I wrote up in the tutorial forum.

-Rob A>