Thread: Wacom announces full tablet models

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The useful part of this system is the Wacom digitizer with its pressure and tilt sensitivity. The rest looks to be a pretty generic tablet (3rd Gen Core i5? ick). The regular Cintiq (monitor with embedded digitizer) is also pretty pricey and needs a host computer to run. The basic Wacom tablets aren't too bad, but there's no on-tablet display feedback.

I've read that Microsoft's Surface Pro uses generally the same sort of digitizer, but it's pretty pricey, too. I'm not sure that there is an affordable unit out there right now with pressure-sensitive input. Then again, MS just wrote down $900M on the first-gen Surface RT and Surface Pro units, so there might be places with them cheaper than might be expected.

The article also says that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has a pressure sensitive digitizer and it sells for less than $400. It's an Android device, though, which may limit its application for certain folks. I'm sure there's a whole host of Android units out there, but I admit that I didn't look too hard. My eyesight is too old to work with much less than a 10" screen, so I tend not to consider the smaller devices.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-21-2013 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The article also says that the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 has a pressure sensitive digitizer and it sells for less than $400. It's an Android device, though, which may limit its application for certain folks. I'm sure there's a whole host of Android units out there, but I admit that I didn't look too hard. My eyesight is too old to work with much less than a 10" screen, so I tend not to consider the smaller devices.
    I bought one of those for my better half. She hates typing on virtual keyboards so the stylus works brilliantly for here. I've played with the built in drawing applications and the pressure sensitivity works very well.

I have seen demos using purchased apps - the best/most popular seems to be Sketchbook Pro:

-Rob A>