Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
http://www.jhendor.de/tutorials/cc2-ft.pdf shows how Ralf over at ProFantasy did something similar years ago. Steps 1 through 4 should be applicable.

There are better bits of software out these days that some of the folks hereabouts prefer such as G.Projector or Flex-projector.
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the tutorial doesn't really offer any info on converting projections - while he started with a polar projection in CC2 and ended with the type that I would like (to go back and forth between) that seems to be more of a side effect of whatever he was seeking to accomplish in converting the data format from CC2's to FT. I didn't really comprehend most of it as I have never used either program nor any of the other utilities he utilized during the intermediate stages.

I am hoping to locate a single program that will simply handle both types of projections from a single initial map. (Which is why I'm wondering if CC2 or 3 would do that - if the change in projection had been all that he was seeking did he even need any second program?) Because of the unusual way the two continents are situated over and surrounding the two poles I have to start with the polar projections when mapping the entire globe. I simply can't perceive the coastlines and other features clearly and properly in my head in another type of projection to draw them broken apart in pieces or spread out linearly. Even having the initial polar projections I still find it extremely difficult to attempt to map the more extreme parallels by hand in any sort of rectangular presentation.

The two programs you mentioned looked promising, but after downloading and running both I found that neither will deal with polar projections in any fashion (starting or ending) - they work solely with rectangular representations of an entire globe centered on the equator which adjust for the distortion that flat Cartesian mapping produces as you approach the poles. I may have use for them later, but sadly they don't do what I'm needing here since they start and end with variations on the sort of projections I'm unable to produce.

HF, PW,
AOK
----------------
Now playing: Tori Amos - Muhammad My Friend
via FoxyTunes